Author Topic: advice on starting solids at 4.5 mo  (Read 989 times)

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: May 11, 2011, 14:22:02 pm »
so my 4.5mo DS is HUGE...he was 18lbs at 4mo.  i am EBF but he gets one 8oz bottle of EBM during his once nightly feed.

at his 4 month appt. our ped recommended starting solids because just prior to 4mo he started waking a lot (was previously a good sleeper) and wanted to eat more often.  now bubs gets 1-1.5tbsp of oatmeal and some fruit puree mixed in 1 hour before his bedtime nursing session.  we have been doing this for a week...and BOY does he love his food!  he never exhibited any tongue thrust and just LOVES eating.  now he is only waking 1 time a night to eat which is great.

what i need help on is how quickly do i offer him more food (last night i thought he may take more but i didn't want to over feed him) for dinner and when do i start breakfast?  one morning i was worried he was getting constipated from the cereal so i gave him some prunes and he LOVED having breakfast (do you see a pattern here LOL).  my DD was much slower to take to food and frankly even though they are only 22mo apart i can't for the life of me remember what i did with her!  TIA>
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 14:23:38 pm by chicagomom »

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 14:37:35 pm »
I would try introducing breakfast around 5mos.  There is no rush since you started early, but it is great that he is enjoying it so much!  I think I would keep offering what you are doing for now.  Remember milk is still more important so you don't want solids to start replacing milk feeds.  Maybe aim to incorporate breakfast at 5mos and lunch at 6mos.  What do you think? 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 14:39:39 pm »
that sounds great!  he is still nursing like a champ like my ped predicted.  this kid is a moose LOL.

should i start offering more for dinner and follow his cues and stop when he fusses?  he is pretty clear on his signals.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 14:43:47 pm »
If it were me I would hold off on offering too much for now.  BUT, I do think you know him best so use your judgement.  :)

So happy that he eats well!  And a bit jealous, sounds like he could out eat both my toddlers combined.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 14:46:12 pm »
that was my gut feeling, too.  yes, feeding issues are NOT a problem with this guy.  i may spend a small fortune feeding him until he moves out.

thanks so much!