Author Topic: Anyone else have a toddler who doesn't like finger foods?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline genyaf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Anyone else have a toddler who doesn't like finger foods?
« on: May 12, 2011, 20:47:26 pm »
My little guy will happily snarf down dry cereal on his own, but I can't seem to get him to eat any other finger food.  I have tried steamed vegetables, cheese, bananas, bread, with no luck.  He sort of pokes them with his finger and then ignores them or drops them on the floor...usually though he won't even pick them up.  I have tried eating them along with them.  He gets interested when I hold one up and wants to touch it, but then he just smiles and turns his head away.  He gets upset if I try to put any in his mouth.  I feel like I didn't start introducing them early enough and I missed a window of opportunity or something.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Mrswu

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Anyone else have a toddler who doesn't like finger foods?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 19:38:05 pm »
How old is he?

Offline AngelaF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:05:51 am »
Not sure how old your guy is, but mine is 15 months and is very similar. We started solids with him later because he was having feeding issues. His issues have cleared up, but he's really picky now! We just keep trying to offer him different foods and hoping he surprises us!

Offline tanna83

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:36:41 am »
My lo is 12mths and we started solids at 5mths on doctors advice and he STILL does the same as your bub with finger food! It drives me nuts lol. I really want him to be able to join in and enjoy all the lovely textures there are to be had but he just thinks its play things....Im also at a loss as to why this is as we have been introducing finger foods since his grip developed?!

Offline genyaf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 20:25:59 pm »
My little guys is also 12 months.

Someone advised me to just keep at it and that sometimes it takes babies many, many, many, many exposures before they are interested in trying something new.  So with that in mind I just keep trying.  I also read somewhere that babies like to imitate other babies and you might try having another baby who likes finger foods over for lunch.  We tried that too.  After about a week of offering stuff he's still not LOVING finger foods, but in addition to cheerios he will now eat Baby Mum Mums, Gerber Wagon Wheels, and, my biggest excitement, mini grilled cheese sandwiches (this he did when we had another baby over for lunch so I'm thinking that was a good suggestion.)

Still won't pick up veggies, fruit, cheese, beans, or any of the other things we're trying.  But it's a start!   

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 19:18:11 pm »
I find that my LO is more accepting of smaller finger foods than large ones now so I tend to give him sweetcorn, peas and so on and then break down bigger finger foods into smaller pieces.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/