Author Topic: Finger foods for a 7mo  (Read 1513 times)

Offline LifeGiver

• Mariana, mother of E. (5) M. (3) and A. (14mo)
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My 3 princesses
    • My family blog
Finger foods for a 7mo
« on: May 15, 2011, 21:23:51 pm »
Hi people!
I have a 7mo DD who has been eating solids for a while but only now I got a proper place for her to eat. (long story)
So now I can try to let her experiment her food lol.

I want ideas of finger foods. I tried carrots but the texture wasnt right. The first time I tried it was good for her to hold but too hard for her to chew (she's just got 2 bottom teeth). The second time it was too soft for her to hold, she'd only smash it :/

I used to give her biscuits, which were great for her to practice. She'd even take from one hand to another, turn it upside down and eat it! But I found out she's allergic to wheat and milk, so no biscuit until she's 1yo...

Any suggestion? If anyone wants to share stories with me, I'll gladly read! :)
TIA
All the Glory to Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords!

Big girl with multiple food allergies: nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish, coconut and wheat.
Facing school life, one day at a time!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 00:54:32 am »
Hi!  You could probably find some good ideas in some of these links:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95978.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178221.0

Carrots are a bit tricky to get the texture right.  You have to cook them al dente so they're not too hard or too soft.  Brocoli florets are a good one, raw or cooked.  Banana and ripe pear work well too.  Apple is another tricky one because it is hard so some moms prefer to leave that one until baby is older.

If your LO has a good pincher grasp you can do cheerios or small pieces of steamed veggies, or frozen wild blueberries. 

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
Re: Finger foods for a 7mo
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:56:50 am »
I also found that bits of toast is a good one, small pasta shells, soft cheese, and pieces of roasted potatoes with the skins peeled off.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:54:31 am »
I have just had my DS 7 month plunket visit and we got given some ideas:

Homemade toast rusks - just toast some white or wholemeal bread, add some marmite (or vegemite) and a small amount of cheese. Put in the oven to dry out and cook the cheese on to the toast cut into fingers and give to your LO to munch on. (My DS loves these)
Chunks of chicken breast, steak or meat chops (apparently) I haven't done this or the others below yet but will be trying soon!
Hard boiled egg cut into quarters
Rice cakes, cheese sticks as MadisonC mentions and soft sandwiches with no crusts and also cut small. I guess you could put some spread inside....

My DS isn't really into finger food (other than the toast rusks which he LOVES) but I am trying to get him into it a bit so he starts to learn to chew better. If I get some other ideas Ill be sure to let you know :)

Just make sure you watch her closely when eating finger food.

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 14:13:42 pm »
Apple is good - cut in half, then quarter, then half again. Peel the skin off with a knife. Finally cut in half again to give 2 thin fingers  :)

Dried apricots are good, cucumber (leave the skin on) cut into fingers, celery cut into fingers, grapes (take out the seeds) cut into quarters (skin on is easier for them to grab, but they can gag on it so be ready to pat her back!)

Cooked stuff - carrot sticks only need to steam for 3 mins before they are ready. You can also try broccoli (leave the stalk as a handle), and long green beans - they steam in about 15-20 mins.

Sweet potato and squash fingers drizzled with a little olive oil and oven baked are yummy  :)

I haven't tried much in the way of fish or meat as DS isn't keen  :(

As I do with DS, avoid all dairy, wheat and tomatoes until she's 1 year as she has sensitivities.

Happy eating!

Offline LifeGiver

• Mariana, mother of E. (5) M. (3) and A. (14mo)
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My 3 princesses
    • My family blog
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 18:54:15 pm »
Oh wow! My notifications aren't working so I lost track of this post for a while!!
Thank you all so much for the ideas!

I forgot to mention that she has food allergies (tested and all) and she can't eat anything with eggs, wheat, chicken, beef, milk (and derivates) and apples...
So I'm putting my coins on the veggies and fruit for now, as I can't give her biscuits or toasts :/

I got the carrots right once! And she enjoyed the pears too! But as she's teething, if the pears aren't soft, she cried :( frustrating, poor baby!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check the link too, Martina, thanks a million!
All the Glory to Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords!

Big girl with multiple food allergies: nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish, coconut and wheat.
Facing school life, one day at a time!