Author Topic: How to BLW fussy 11 month old?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 22, 2011, 15:54:04 pm »
DD is 11 months tomorrow. We did TW until recently (I was too scared to try BLW!) and she ate 3 meals a day of meat, poultry, fish, veg, fruit, cereals - it was great!

Now she's refusing the spoon most of the time so we're just doing finger food. But she won't eat fruit - it's too wet, we think. She likes grated apple but only if it's not a juicy one. She has refused a variety of steamed veg. She tried a homemade chicken nugget today, ate some of the coating off, chewed some chicken for a while and then spat it out. The only things we've had any sort of success with so far are fish cakes and things spread on toast - she'll happily munch through a whole slice (if not more!) of toast spread with hummous or garlic and herb soft cheese. Oh, and sometimes she'll eat grated cheese or fingers of cheese, but not always.

She's taking two bottles during the day of 8 or 9oz each but waking at night for a bottle another 9oz, so I know she's not getting enough during the day.

How do I feed her? How on earth do I get her to eat enough to keep her going when she's eating so few things? And what do I do about the bottles - just keep letting her top up during the night for as long as she needs to?

This is painful : ( I would have hoped that by 11 months eating would be going reasonably well but this is a shambles.

Offline SylvieA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: How to BLW fussy 11 month old?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 16:34:47 pm »
As for BLW, we gave our kids whatever we ate. Nothing special made. One of the first things DD really ate and enjoyed was a homemade bean burrito. It was filled with beans, guacamole, and cheese. It seems the more flavorful the better. Have you given her a spoon or a fork to eat with it. They just love to play with food with utensils, and are so proud when they succeed. As far as food consumption, it's mostly for play till about a year old. My son ate loads before 1, but my DD didn't eat much till well after 1. And both are very healthy. Just let her explore with whatever you're having and next thing you know she'll be eating like a pro on her own. Check the BLW web site.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 20:00:47 pm »
Hey Gingernut
Totally sympathise with you. I started out doing puree at 6 months like your told to, then tried BLW then a mix of the two. My DS did not eat. Nothing. Until a week after his first birthday. He's a generally a good eater these days (20 months) Its really hard to not get frustrated with it but my advice would be to try not to attach too much importance to it (especially in front of her) If she usually sleeps through the night on 3 bottles a day then I would lean towards continuing to give her the 3 a day (or whatever she was having when she slept through) and keep offering finger food, maybe the odd puree and let her hold the spoon etc...the other thing you could try is giving half a bottle then some food then half a bottle and/or just plonking down a bowl of something while she is playing and let her know its there but leave it up to her to try if she wants...she will start to eat one day, it will happen...big hugs

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:28:09 am »
I can relate too.  DS2 was and still is a fussy eater.  ::)  What I have learned is that it is not up to me what he eats.  It's up to me what to offer and up to him what goes in.  So in that case I just keep offering.  Also I really try not to think about how much he is (or isn't) eating, as it just makes me more stressed.  If he takes a few bites then I am happy.  A lot of it is just changing your perspective.  Just keep offering, she will come around.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline JaxV

• Jax x
  • New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:28 am »
First thing to do is relax about it :)

At 11 months she is still getting all she needs fom her milk, and food at this point is purely for experimenting and learning. As long as she isnt eating anything high in salt, sugar or fat, you can just give her a bit of whatever your eating and let her get on with it - and accept the mess  ;D

You're already getting an idea of the things she does or doesnt like, just offer the things she refuses every few days until she decides its worth a try ;) The main thing, and the best thing about BLW is that little one is in control and is trusted to learn about food all in good time (((hugs)))

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:54 am »
The main thing, and the best thing about BLW is that little one is in control and is trusted to learn about food all in good time (((hugs)))

what she said

xo