Author Topic: Formula intake vs solids  (Read 1164 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Formula intake vs solids
« on: May 25, 2011, 16:19:47 pm »
This mommy business is tough!  DD is teething and tends to have a few days in a row where she just refuses most of anything I offer, especially bottles.  She has never been a huge drinker regardless.  She is right around 16 lbs and 25 inches right now (50th percentile weight and 25th for height), just a wee one! 

I have some concerns around her milk intake on the days that she is having a tough time with teething - she will drop to 20 ozs or a bit less!  On those days, I have tried cutting solids to attempt an increase in formula with minimal effect.  Is it okay to offer more solids to get something into her on those days?  I also switch from 4 bigger bottles to many smaller ones since she seems to have more pain with prolonged sucking...

I have been scouring the internet for an answer to the age-old question of How Much?  How much formula should she eat and how much solid food should she eat?  Since she is always on the low side with formula, I do tend to regulate her solids to ensure that she stays above 25ozs... she has never taken more than 30 ozs in a single day, even before we started with solids.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Funny how these little people can worry us so much when they don't eat as much as they normally do!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Formula intake vs solids
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 16:43:26 pm »
The recommended minimum from 6 mon ths with solids is 20oz but of course if they are taking more that's even better. I would say that so long as she isn't dropping below that 20oz for more than a day or so and she has plenty of wet /dirty nappies then there probably isn't much to worry about. My 91st centile DD very rarely took over 25oz a day before she was on solids ;).

You could also make sure there is dairy in her food as the milk in solids counts towards her daily intake.

HTH

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Formula intake vs solids
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 16:47:53 pm »
That helps loads Laura!  Thanks :)  I think I just needed to hear that she won't starve herself LOL

We certainly have no issues with wet/dirty bums so I suspect all is okay :)