Author Topic: starting solids  (Read 1815 times)

Offline DrLilac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:35:13 am »
Hey guys. My little ava is almost 6 months. We started rice ceareal about 2 weeks ago and and is now eating 3x a day. I also recently extended her schedule to 4 hours last week. She's doing well, however, I noticed that she doesn't finish her 5 oz bottle during her feed. Although she's above 95 percentils on her weight. She was 17lbs at 4 months. So my question is: Is it ok that she's only drinking milk 4 x a day (22oz/day) plus rice cereal of 1 oz 3x a day. Sometimes she doesn't finish her cereal. I just don't want her to lose weight abruptly. She may be regulating at this point but at the same time I don't want her becoming unhealthy.

Also can some help guide me on how to advance from rice cereal? I was planning on starting her on homemade pureed veggies then fruits when she turns 6 months. Peds advised us to start rice cereal first before 6 months.

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 17:45:39 pm »
Hi there :)

First off here are a couple of links that may be helpful:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=209678.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=118497.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=57483.0

Her milk intake is a bit on the low side particularly for her age.  You would want her taking 24+oz of milk or formula.  Was she drinking more before starting the cereal?  Remember to offer milk first so that she is not filling up on solids.

With regards on how to proceed, you can start introducing single fruits and veggies at this point.  The weaning guidelines I posted offer a good plan for what and when to start.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:24:07 am »
Thanks so much for your reply :) I'm planning to make a bunch and freeze them. Do you do the same? If so can you give me some tips on how to make baby food?

Thanks a bunch ;)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:51:24 am »
Oh one more thing. I know that were supposed to introduce new food every 3-4 days at a time. Ava eats rive cereal now 2-3x a day. Now if I start with veggies do I only give it once a day or can I give the same veggie 2x that day for the next 3-4 days? Coz I was thinking of giving her breakfast with rice cereal then new veggie for lunch and same for dinner. 

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:29 pm »
Here are some links with helpful info on making baby food:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189157.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=187037.0

I have always made my own baby food, it's super easy!  To freeze baby food the easiest thing is to pour it into ice cube trays, and then once frozen put them into a freezer bag or container.  Most baby food will last up to 3mos in the freezer.

I'd stick with giving new foods only once a day for 3 days so it's not too much at once.  When you introduce the next food you can move the first one to dinner and give the new one at lunch.

:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 23:29:39 pm »
Thanks Martina! So I can continue giving rice cereal for breakfast then for lunch introduce new food, let's say carrots. Then dinner rice cereal. This will be for the next 3 days after which will be rice cereal for breakfast, new food then carrots....etc etc etc.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 00:39:37 am »
Yep!  The weaning guidelines I posted earlier outline it pretty good too.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:18:55 am »
Thanks! Another question if you don't mind.

I send Ava to babysitter mon-fri so I'm planning to freeze some purée. Have tried doing that with bananas and/or avocados? I was just gonna buy the fruit and have the sitter mash like a quarter of the banana before serving it instead of freezing a bunch. But my question is, is it still ok to use the remaining banana for the next 2 days? Just keep it in the fridge? Same for avocado?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:34:43 am »
Bananas and avocados are tricky for freezing, but I have kept them in the fridge for a few days no problem.  They get a little brown but it's not an issue.  I would probably not keep it for more than 2 days, though not sure what the exact keeping time is for them.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 15:40:50 pm »
Thanks a lot. I'll probably do that instead f freezing them. :)

Offline DrLilac

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 16:07:35 pm »
By the way do you feed the baby puree straight from fridge after thawing or you try to heat it to room temp at least? We have a bottle warmer so I'm thinking of using that or maybe set the puree out of the fridge for maybe 30 min so itll be at room temp before feeding.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 16:15:17 pm »
It really depends on your LO's preference.  Most LO's prefer it warmed up, but if you can get yours eating cold baby food that's great because then you don't have to worry about warming it up when you're out!  ;)  Try it both ways and see what she likes!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010