Author Topic: 12 Month old won't self feed at all, or hold own bottle...Please help!  (Read 15386 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Nothing wrong with hanging on to a bottle feed when it's just a milk feed. But for the table, you can transition to a cup more easily, especially as it's what he'll see you and DH doing. :)

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
really don't stress about the food, especially if he's only at 11 months developmentally.    You'll probably find that just one day he'll just go for it, especially when he's watching others doing it.

I was just thinking you could have a look at what he gets up to when he's playing...does he pick things up and aim for his mouth?  Does he get them in?  Maybe if you track what he's doing in that way, it might take a bit of stress out of eating by lowering expectations.

But do be prepared for lots of mess! My LO is reasonably good at picking up finger foods (when he's in the mood) but he really enjoys putting his hands into apple purée or soup or what have you and then sticking 'em in his mouth.  And his hair...that'll be your guy soon enough!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Oh my LO likes picking up things then leaning over the side of his highchair and dropping them deliberately.  He sometimes then cries because he's dropped it.  Hmm.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Rainey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I'm happy to report that DS held his bottle ON HIS OWN for about 2 minutes this morning!  I gave it to him in his high chair, helped him get his hands around it, then walked away!  I bustled around the kitchen and to my delight as I kept peeking over at him, he still had his hands on his bottle and was sucking away!  This is a HUGE victory in our house! 

Still no progress with finger foods, but I feel very encouraged with the bottle. So proud of my little one! 
Thanks, Ladies, for all of your encouragement!
Lorraine

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Yeah! That's great!

When my two held their bottles they were always lying in my (or DH's) arms so it was a lot easier than sitting up to do it!

Laura