Author Topic: When things are really bad... remember...  (Read 1648 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
When things are really bad... remember...
« on: June 07, 2011, 16:46:46 pm »
This too shall pass, my friend.

I remember thinking that DD's naps would never be more than half an hour... there were days that I would APOP her to sleep and put her down... 10 minutes would pass and she would wake up crying.  She was OT, I was majorly OT and stressed out beyond belief!  I thought it would never end.  But it does.  I am sitting here waiting for her to wake from her morning nap so that we can get to the grocery store before lunch... I might even have to go wake her.

Oh, how things can change in a 6 week span!

And just as things fall into place, you can rest assured that something new will pop up!   ;D

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: When things are really bad... remember...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 18:55:46 pm »
Kara,
Thank you so much for posting that! It is so good to hear that things will get better even though it is hard to imagine. I am stuck in the short nap phase... which has really been his whole life!  When did your DD finally start sleeping longer?
Katie

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 19:01:02 pm »
I thought it would never end.  But it does.  I am sitting here waiting for her to wake from her morning nap so that we can get to the grocery store before lunch... I might even have to go wake her.
LOL you sounds just like me. You go from tiptoeing around untill the 30 and 45 min marks are over to worrying they are sleeping too long.

Kta400 - For us things improved around the 6 month mark, maybe a little later. But I spent a lot of time the months prior 'helping' DS to sleep longer with W2S and resettling.
I am stuck in the short nap phase... which has really been his whole life!
(HUGS) have you posted on the EASY board to see if maybe some tweaks would help his napping? How old is your LO?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 19:10:41 pm »
My daughter would take so long to go down for naps and only sleep for 45 mins. I honestly thought it would never end. It slowly but surely got better now at 17 months she likes going down for her afternoon nap. Will actually walk into her room and climb onto her BGB and lay down herself. All the crying( her's and mine) the OT/UT loops and so much tweaking that I thought I would snap was worth it, it did help and the end result is amazing!

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 19:27:19 pm »
Thanks for this thread Kara, it really does get better, I spent the months 4-7 sleep training ds and my like literarlly revolved around his sleep, but it gets better and so pays off when they're such marvelous independent sleepers!
Adam's Mum

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 21:36:39 pm »
Alexandra started taking longer naps around the 5 1/2 month mark... they were hit and miss at first, but by the start of month 6, fairly consistent at 90-120 minutes in the morning and 2 hrs - 2 1/2 hrs in the afternoon :)

And it really was like someone hit a switch... from a terrible short napper to a consistent good napper in about 3 weeks time!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 21:40:33 pm »
Yup, DS was a developmentally short napper for a couple of months.  I knew the end would be in sight soon at the time, but my back hurt soooo badly from trying to extend every nap.  Sure enough, at ~5.5mo, he suddenly started extending to 1.5hish on his own, and shortly thereafter we were able to wean his swaddle.  He's been a fantastic independent sleeper ever since!  TBH, I barely remember that time anymore (maybe I blocked it out, lol).  I remember what I felt like, but the emotions and frustration have dissipated over the years.  It's a perspective I hope will carry me through with LO2 :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 19:38:31 pm »
Thanks Kara, this makes me feel a lot better, struggling as we are with naps. I just have to trust that the end is in sight :)
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 20:40:44 pm »
You are very welcome... I almost needed to have a re-read myself today ::)

Offline amyylyn

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 20:47:28 pm »
5 1/2 mos huh?  Wahhh, we are at almost 6 and Lucas still naps like poopie! lmao  I think I just have a child that has disdain for sleep. Hehe

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 21:00:49 pm »
Don't worry, many moms say that naps get better in months 6 & 7 as well - there is still hope!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 21:35:52 pm »
Don't worry, many moms say that naps get better in months 6 & 7 as well - there is still hope!
Yup!  It's true that developmentally short nappers (who have no other reason to short nap than not being able to transition between sleep cycles) normally start doing so at this age.  I didn't believe it until it happened.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 23:36:26 pm »
Just wait for the day when you look at your 5 yr old asleep on the couch and think, "CRUMB! Why is he napping?!"
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 02:39:38 am »
LOL!  My mom reminds me that I will look fondly on this time of DD not sleeping in when she is a teenager and I have to physically pull her out of bed at noon ;)

Offline rastasha

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:14:05 am »
I remember all of my stress and anxiety with my DS short naps and then I extended his A time and he started sleeping 1.5-2 hours at a time. Things do fall into place :)