Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65491 times)

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:17:23 am »
Hi all extended nursing mamas :D

Extended nursing is usually considered nursing past a year. This is a place to come together and chat about your experience and offer each other support.

Continued on from ... http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=171591.0
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:47:32 am »
We're still here. Cadan is still having feeds at WU and BT only. He actually refused the BF this morning. Not sure if it was because he was sick in his cot overnight or he saw DH's water on his bedside table that he fancied more.  ::) He then asked for BF when in the bath with me a couple hours later but only took a few mins.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:59:13 am »
K still a lot. Not sure if i am making it the forbidden fruit by limiting it. I just can face being a milk factory full time on call.

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 22:12:25 pm »
I think it is ok to forbid it. Not sure if you read the Tantrum Breastfeeding book but the author explained that it's really important for both of you to feel comfortable, and that might include limiting the older child. I think if you stay consistent Khalam will soon learn that there is no sense in asking for more and will probably stop, or at least accept a No easier. I am pretty sure that I will have to do the same with Hayden once the new baby arrives, cause he asks for more frequent feeds right now as well. But currently he knows that there is none other than morning, after his nap and BT, so he is not very persistent. This might change though once he sees the new baby feed all the time. ::)
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:59 am »
I have been consistent for several weeks now and generally he is be better but we still sometimes have tantrums and major crying. Worse when tired.

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 17:24:57 pm »
Mh, hopefully it will get better soon. Lots of hugs and patience for now though!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 04:34:50 am »
Hi ladies! I guess I'm just barely into "extended"...

Sterling is 13mo and I'm feeding at WU, 12pm, 4:30pm, and BT. He is MSPI and has other food allergies and intolerances so despite having to be on a restricted diet to BF him, we are persevering. It's been a long hard road though so if S doesn't self-wean before (his brother gave it up at 16.5mos), I'd like to be done by Christmas.

I take fenugreek twice a day. How are the rest of you managing with supply?

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:11:48 am »
Welcome Shannon. It must be hard breast feeding a MSPI, I couldn't even imagine. Good job for keeping it up so long! I am actually not worried about supply and haven't been since he has been about 10 months or so. I just figured if my supply drops he might self-wean and that's ok too. Now Hayden doesn't really care whether I have much milk or not, it is mainly a comfort thing for him. So I can't even really tell how my supply is doing. :D

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 14:43:19 pm »
Welcome gm. Well done on 13m with a restricted diet. Maybe he Will outgrow it soon. I always felt like my supply had gone before no 2 but there was always milk when i squeezed after a feed even though i couldnt pump at all. I think at that age you produce on demand so dont get so full. Are you worried about supply? I am also planning to be done with k by xmas. I have a feeling he Will fight it all the way though.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 18:22:07 pm »
How did I not know there was a BF support thread? I've been all over the BF boards lately bc of recent issues. Mainly supply. I'm taking fenugreek 2-3 times daily, drinking Mama's Milk tea, eat oatmeal every morning, and just bought calcium/magnesium supplements to start taking while ovulating through AF. Those 2 weeks of the month are the worst.

DS recently started eating every 4 hrs and just got done with his 4m GS so I'm hoping things will pick back up soon. It's been a tough week.
Justine

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 21:28:06 pm »
Hi Justine. Congrats on keeping up the BFing. good to hear you have made it through the 4mo growth spurt and out the other side.
This thread is actually about extended nursing (nursing LOs 12mo+) so might not be so relevant for your issues. Don't worry about posting as many questions as you like on the BF board if you need help with specific issues. I found having support from other mamas who had BTDT really helped.
I have no idea what my supply is like but since I am pg there is not that much I can take for it. Cadan seems happy with his 2-3 BFs each day so I'm just going with it.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 22:16:58 pm »
Ohhh...I thought 'extended' just meant the thread was.....extending.  ::)   ;D

Hopefully I'll be back here after Isaac's a year :) I'd love to nurse for at least that long.
Justine

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 22:25:22 pm »
Ohhh...I thought 'extended' just meant the thread was.....extending.  ::)   ;D

Hopefully I'll be back here after Isaac's a year :) I'd love to nurse for at least that long.
hehe. Sounds like you have the determination to keep at it with all you have done so far to give your little guy the good stuff so far.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 20:21:02 pm »
Hey ladies (hi Shannon I miss you!!!) Congrats to all of you for bf this long :-* I bf DD1 for 11m by which time I was ready to stop and she wasn't fusses at all when I stopped offering. So DD2 is now 12mo, she is MPI and I was dairy free til she was 10mo, began introducing to my diet and she was fine (doesn't tolerate it in hers yet though)
I have cut down to 1 x bf a day (bedtime) and occasionally in the night but fingers x'd she generally sttn. For a good couple of months now she's had no milk in the morning, v happy to move straight to brek, a bottle at some point in the day (was nutramigen, now oat milk) and a bf at bedtime. But these last few days she's been lunging at my chest and pulling at my skin like she wants a morning bf ??? Then she was doing it later in the day today too ??? I don't especially want to increase the bf's, I work p/t and
Happy with the one feed. Could this be a phase?? She's never ever been one to demand feeds, is this a sign of things to come if I continue to feed her as a toddler does anyone think??
Thanks ladies xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 23:06:57 pm »
Hi Charli! Nice to "see" you too. Sorry, I don't have any advice to give other than to say that our morning feed is definitely more 'nourishing' than BT. Maybe you need an extra snack (ie. growspurt or something)?