Author Topic: spitting drinks out  (Read 10428 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
spitting drinks out
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:04:19 am »
I don't know if this goes here, but my 1 year old likes to spit liquids out and let it roll down his chin.  It is driving me crazy, because it is a mess and waste.  He now does this with his milk, water, and this morning his medicine.  As soon as he starts doing it with his milk, I take it from him.  It is too expensive to have him just spit it all.  With his medicine, now I am concerned that he isn't getting the proper dose.  Is there a way to teach him not to do it?  I just take it and tell him no.
Kara

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: spitting drinks out
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 18:58:05 pm »
Bumping this up for you Kara
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline -kgmf123-

• Showing Appreciation 72
  • mum to jack may03, s-j oct05 and ben oct 09
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 19:12:39 pm »
My ds did that, I just kept taking it off him at the first sign of deliberate dribbling. If it is any consolation, now at 20 months he does it a lot less.
Katrina xx

Offline mmom

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 22:18:10 pm »
Grr... it is very annoying.  He hasn't gotten his meds in a few day (or at least he correct dose) and it is a total mess!  I keep taking drinks from him, which turns into a meltdown.  But I am not wasting all of that milk!
Kara

Offline -kgmf123-

• Showing Appreciation 72
  • mum to jack may03, s-j oct05 and ben oct 09
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:49 am »
Extremely annoying yes! Luckily for me it is only water he deliberately spits. He doesn't have any milk from a cup as he is still bf. Looking on the bright side, it gives him chance to practice his newly learned phrase "all wet!"  ::)
Katrina xx

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:51 am »
My friend's son does this too. I don't think there is much you can do about it. I guess its an indication that he's not really thirsty. I think it might help if you try to have no reaction when he does it and just be matter of fact, if he gets a reaction from you it could give him more incentive to keep doing it. If you are worried about wasting milk you could try to only give him water and keep telling him the milk is too special to spit out and double his intake of yoghurt and/or cheese until you feel ready to try the milk again. With the medicine, is there another way you can give it to him, mixed with a spoon full of jam or some other more food type substance? ...otherwise, you may just need to dig deep into the well of patience (as if you haven't dug enough already!)

good luck

xo

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 18:14:46 pm »
Hi Hon,

Our DS does this when he's teething. It's like he would like to gargle if he knew how to keep the cold liquid on his gums (or so I reckoned) Is he teething  ??? Have you thought about trying him with a fresh fruit juice ice lolly   ??? If he loves it then it may be your answer, the cold is lovely on there sore or rumbling gums. How long has he been doing it  ???  WRT the meds our DS is older but since 16 months he started to hate the dropper untill I allowed him to hold. He puts it in his own mouth and I push the fluid through the dropper. It's worth a try if he tries to grab it.  Otherwise it may be one of those games that he loves right now but will pass. Good luck  ;).

(X)

Offline mmom

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 21:59:08 pm »
Thanks everyone.  He is teething.  Aren't they always?

He seems to just enjoy it.  If he continues spitting liquid out, I take it.  Otherwise, if I notice that he is actually swallowing the liquid and then playing, I let him keep the drink.

The cold popsicles are a good idea.
Kara

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 18:15:30 pm »
Hi,
I have the same problem with DD spitting out water.

She loves her milk and would never spit that out but she only has 2 bottles of milk a day - 8oz in morning and the same before bed. I offer her water all day long in a sippy cup. She takes the odd sip here and there but most of the time spits it out and let's it roll down her chin. Like mmom, I take it away from her if she keeps doing it but I'm worried she's not getting enough fluid. When she had more milk feeds, her nappy was always wet but now it seems dry more often - how can I make sure she's not getting dehydrated?

I'm quite strict (probably too strict) when it comes to sugar and don't give her any food with added sugar so I don't really want to start giving her juice just to try to make her drink more- any suggestions?

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 19:00:50 pm »
Mackjack,

Could you try fresh fruit juice without added sugar  ??? You can do 50/50 with water and my friends LO's love it.

x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:02 am »
Yes, I thought about that, Sammysmummy. I'm just worried that she'll just drink it because it's nice and sweet, rather than  because she's thirsty, IYKWIM and then be totally averse to water! I guess what I really want is just some reassurance that she's not getting dehydrated??

x

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 09:34:42 am »
Yes, I think just getting the fluids in would be my main cause of concern atm Hon. Whataever works for now. Our DS went through a stage where he would only drink no added sugar Robinsons juice, it started when I added it to his 'Dyralite' salts replacement drink to make it more palatable, when he had diarrhea. But now some weeks later he will drink water again as much as juice. I think it's probably just a stage.

Good Luck  ;)

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 12:26:24 pm »
Mackjack - I am like you and never give juice. I actually don't think you need to. If I were in your position I wouldn't take the sippy cup away if she spits it out because that just brings attention to the beahviour. She is not being naughty she is just experimenting with her new found motor skills and sensations. I would offer her the water, let her know where it is and leave her to it butr also remind her and offer it throughout the day. If her general health is good and she is giving you wet and dirty nappies regularly then I don't think there is anythign you need to worry about. She will drink when thirsty so keep offering but don't make a big deal of it. It will take the stress off both of you.

xoxo