Author Topic: Refusing to feed himself (13 months)  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Refusing to feed himself (13 months)
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:40 am »
Hi All,

my son had his MMR jab 2 weeks ago and he came out in a rash and was grouchy recently.  Anyway, he's been off his food and particularly at the start of a meal, he's often refusing to feed himself.  We did traditional weaning but in recent weeks he'd been feeding himself for at least a portion of each meal and often all of it (with his hands).  Anyway, this morning, blueberries all went on the floor.  If I tried to feed one in his mouth he got upset.  So I tried peach.  Same issue.  I put a small piece on a spoon though and he accepted it then started feeding himself!

So, any theories?  Is he just still grouchy from the MMR?  His molars haven't come through, the gums feel hard but they have done for months.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
Re: Refusing to feed himself (13 months)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much and just help him through it. he sounds a bit grumpy and out of sorts and maybe just wants a bit more mummy attention. Don't think you have anything to worry about my DS is 20 months and goes through stages of wanting to be fed...

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 19:58:18 pm »
Hi Hon,

I recently discovered the significance of the 'Wonder weeks' when our DS had the most horrendous out of character week and it turned out to be wonder week 75  :o. If you don't already know it has been found that babies have 10 'Wonder weeks' in the first 2 years of their lives. There is a 'Wonder week' around 55 weeks old. This usually entails LO's not eating well, throwing food to the floor etc. Is DS showing any other sign of personality change  ??? More cranky/clingy/not sleeping so well etc  ???

Anyway it's just a thought  :-\ something you may consider. There is some information on the net about it if you're interested to read up more. The book written by 2 of the worlds top leading child psychologists and it is called the 'Wonder weeks' (no suprise there then  :o) and they have discovered their findings over 35 years of studies. It's available at amazon.com.

(x)