Author Topic: 18wk not finishing bottles and not sleeping through please help???  (Read 1460 times)

Offline SuzLT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello = sorry if i have not put this in the right place

My LO is 18weeks, and i breastfed him for the first 6wks then introduced formula at 10.00 feed following 3hour easy. Since then i have slowly replaced b/feeds with formula 7,10,1,4 & 7. I struggle to get him to take more then 4ounces. I also D/F, but he is still waking in night and has never slept through. I have changed him to fast flow teats which he takes well but still doesnt finish feeds so dont think he gets enough in day to see him through night??? Can anyone suggest anything please?

Many thanks

SuzLT

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 18wk not finishing bottles and not sleeping through please help???
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 20:32:38 pm »
Hello!

He is taking small feeds for an 18 week old so I have a few questions! How is he during a feed? Does he feed peacefully? Does he suffer from wind or other digestive issues? How many nightfeeds is he having? What is his weight gain like?

Can you post your EASY for us in terms of

Eat - what times, how much
Activity - how long for
Sleep - what times, how long for

Sleeping through is as much developmental as it is calorie drive and they majority of 18 week olds won't be sleeping through yet. One or even 2 nightfeeds is totally normal at this stage. There can be many reasons for poor feeding, being over tired is one, reflux and digestive issues are another for example. If you can give us a bit more information we may be able to spot something that can help you!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:32:13 am »
I agree completely with Laura and just want to add that he may want to be pushed to a 3 1/2 hr or even 4 hr EASY ;)

Offline SuzLT

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 20:47:17 pm »
Hello - thank you for your replies.

he takes bottles ok, and doesnt seem to suufer with wind or anything, i just think he isnt that hungry to have the fve bottles in 12hours - 7 = 7??

E 7am breastfeed
S8.30 - 9.45

E 10 formula may take 5oz
S 11:30 - 12:45

E 1.00 formula may take 4/5oz
S 2:45 - 15:45

e 4.00 may take 4/5oz

cat nap 45mins followed by bath at 6.15 followed by bottle may take 5oz.

Over last few days have waited and not fed in bang on 10.00, and waited for him to show he was hungry and he has been taking 5 - 7oz bottles every 3.5 - 4hours which is much better and no night wakings which has been great. I have been trying to keep the sleeps around the same time but it doesnt seem to fit with him waking and having feed staright away. He is feeding 7, 11, 2.30 and 6.30 & 10.30.

thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 20:53:51 pm »
Looks like he is ready to stretch the feeds a bit then!

Don't worry too much about having a bit of A time before he is ready to feed, the one to watch is if a feed comes right before a sleep because you don't want them to feed to sleep. As he gets bigger his A times will stretch out a bit more and you will find the E fits back into an EAS routine again. It's quite common for formula fed (or mostly formula fed) babies to need longer between feeds before they are ready for the 2 hours A time in a 4 hour EASY.

Yeah for the no night wakings - that's excellent! You are doing a great job following his cues!

Laura

Offline SuzLT

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 21:03:26 pm »
thank you for your advice, and for your quick replies really appreciated!  :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 22:45:26 pm »
I was gonna say the same thing as Laura - looks like he is ready for a longer EASY :)  Good luck!