Author Topic: 14 month not eating cooked food...please help!  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Claireybell

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My little love bug
14 month not eating cooked food...please help!
« on: June 30, 2011, 14:17:53 pm »
Hi there,

Ok my daughter will be 14 months next week. She has been on solid food since 6 months and has really enjoyed it. I am also still breasfeeding.
She will happily pick up food, mainly at lunch time and usually bread/toast which i put various things on it, fruit, avocado etc which she will eat. She picks up the apple slices and chews them but then spits the bits out. She enjoys rice cakes and raw carrots with houmous on. She'll suck the houmous off the carrot and nibble the carrot. Recently she's been eating some of my granola in the mornings which has raisins in and that is pretty much it.

She will however eat spaghetti bolognaise/chilli by the bucket full at dinner but at the moment that is all she'll eat.

I've tried giving her the food I cook to pick up and eat, i've tried pureeing (leaving a few lumps) but she gags on it and spits it out, sometimes she doesn't even gag and spits it out straight away. I've tried doing both-so feeding her while she's supposed to exploring the food, although she'd rather play with the spoons and throw them over the edge. I've tried ignoring, being enthusiastic but she's just not interested and i don't know what to do next. :( If the food is something she likes she'll happily put the spoon in and feed herself with a little help from me, but if she's not interested she turns away and hang over the other edge of the highchair.

I do know i need to chill out about it, i know she wont starve, but we've just got the whole sleeping through thing going on and im worried that if she's hungry she's going to start waking up for a bf again in the night.

Please please..some/any help before i go completly bonkers!  :'(

Thank you

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 14 month not eating cooked food...please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 19:30:26 pm »
bumping up for you
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 23:47:02 pm »
TBH I personally think they're past the whole waking for hunger thing at this point.  If she's sttn now without eating then I don't think you have to worry about it, and if she does start waking I doubt it will be from hunger.

This is one of those ages where LO's seem to get pickier.  Both my boys got picky around 1yr.  DS2 was really bad up until very recently, he wouldn't eat anything and pretty much threw everything!  It was a phase though and they both got past it.

Do you offer everything you cook for yourselves?  She can have anything at this point (healthy of course).  Just keep trying.  A few weeks ago DS2 wasn't eating a single thing and now he is trying all sorts of new things.

Good luck, I guess I don't have too much advice, but seeing as how I have struggled with picky eaters at time I know a few things about staying relaxed and just continuing to offer healthy food.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:22 am »
Oh my son is nearly 14 months and he's being really picky and not eating as much.  I was wondering whether it was linked to a stomach bug he had a few days ago but now I'm wondering.

He's not great with spoons but now sometimes manages to get one spoonful to his mouth all on his own but then often drops the spoon straight away.  I try to stay relaxed and then when he's getting upset just take the food away and offer something else (healthy).  I've also sometimes found though that he'll get upset and then he tries a bit and stops being upset because he's decided he likes it!  Strange.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 15:43:17 pm »
If she's sttn now without eating then I don't think you have to worry about it, and if she does start waking I doubt it will be from hunger.

We ARE having this issue right now. It's his "hunger cry" and I'm having a devil of time trying to settle him without a feed. Mind you, we are trying to get back on track after a flu (where I fed on demand day and night as he was vomiting so much) and I suspect there are some teeth issues too, but how can I get him to EAT more solids during the day? He's so fussed now about what he'll try and he no longer lets me feed him stuff except maybe applesauce.

I'm relieved to hear that this was a phase for many and that I can expect him to resume better eating soon. He is eager to try what is on our plates but for the most part I can't give it to him as he's still on a pretty restricted (alllergy) diet.

I think I remember DS1 only wanting carbs at this stage and that did pass. But he was 3lbs heavier at the same age so I didn't worry.