Author Topic: Dropping bottle?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Dropping bottle?
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:09:44 am »
 D is 9 months old now.

Routine currently this give or take

7am Bottle
 8am b/fast
 9.30-10.45 - nap
 11am - Bottle
 12.30 - Lunch
 1.30 - 3 nap
 3 - bottle
 4 dinner
 6.30/7 bottle and bed

She is not refusing any bottles but not drinking alot at any of them really (this may be do with the fact its neocate). She is less interested in solids and milk than she was.

Its just bottles and solids all day really and we are not getting the chance to get out and do stuff! Coupled with the fact that she seems disinterested in either right now I feel that she's not getting the chance to get an appetite for solids or milk kwim?

Is 9 months too early? I did drop a bottle at 9/10 months with B but it was because he was refusing the 11am so it went and a snack replaced it. He guzzled the rest. Because she is dairy free I dont want to deprive her of it.

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
Re: Dropping bottle?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:44:31 am »
I dropped the morning bottle at about 9 months, some days if she ew's I give her one in the hope that she will go back asleep......she never does! I live in hope though lol

Oh and she really isn't that interested in it either! Has maybe 3oz

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:37 am »
I'd think you could drop from 4-3 bottles at 9 months.  I think they should be getting 20oz of milk at this stage. I know with M I dropped from 4-3 BFs about 9-10 months to make things abit easier.  Although she was getting a lot of dairy through yogurts/cheese etc. 

Is she getting plenty of calcium rich foods?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:07:04 pm »
She's not getting much of anything right now. Only having about 16oz formula a day and solids she just doesn't seem to like anything i give her anymore. She used to be amazing at taking her solids.

As for calcuim rich foods well no, not really. She as fortified breakfast cereal every day and a rusk every day too, mixed with fruit both of which have calcium. I try to give her green veg such as broccoli and green beans but its very hit and miss whether she takes it or not.

She just never seems to get the chance to get hungry and i think that may have something to do with her complete disinterest in everything i give her.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »
Personally then I would cut a bottle so you are giving 3 bottles and see if that helps appetite. Any teeth? I can't believe she's off her solids when she loved them so much.  Are you making he cereals and rusk up with formula or a different milk?

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 13:15:12 pm »
The cereal gets made up with either oat milk or coconut milk (not the stuff from a can, its cartons that I found in the free from section!).

No teeth yet. Has R got any yet? Not even the slightest sign over here!

I think i'll drop one tomorrow and see how it goes. We just cant go anywhere right now yk. SHe wakes from her nap then its bottle then solids then only an hour or so before she needs to go back down again! At least if i can give her a snack then we can do something in a day. I'm also pushing lunch really late now, we usually eat just before 12 but I've pushed it out to 1 now to try and make her more interested and also to make sure she's not waking from her afternoon nap due to hunger.

Was thinkng the day could go something like this....

7am bottle
8am b/fast
9.30 - 10.45 nap
11.30 lunch
1.30 bottle then nap
3ish - snack when wakes from nap
4.30/5 dinner
6.30/7 bottle then bed

Its just scary messing with things when she's sleeping so well during the day and night!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 14:26:50 pm »
I guess if you are concerned about formula intake you could make the cereal up with formula and that would count toward daily amount although if she's not fussed on the taste are you worried she'll start refusing the cereal?

I think that EASY looks good Emma.  I think not having a bottle before lunch will help that meal but at least she'll get it before nap so it shouldn't affect her sleeping well!

No teeth here at all.  I'd myself convinced yesterday her gums were swelled but not so much today!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 14:56:00 pm »
That's pretty much the same routine we did with DD from about 8 months due to food refusing reflux. We did the afternoon bottle just slightly later so between 2 and 2.30 which was just before her nap but we made sure not to feed to sleep. I did find she didn't really need a snack when she woke or she wouldn't eat and solids at tea time!

I know what you mean about not changing things when they are sleeping well, but it should make the day easier for you.

Laura

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 15:13:41 pm »
I'll go for it tomorrow I think. Thanks Ladies.  :-*

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 19:42:53 pm »
Good luck Emma.  I say go for it.

I did same with DS when he was 9 months as he was getting disinterested in his solids (also a great eater) & was only taking about half his mid AM & PM feeds (4oz ish).  I dropped to 3 bottles & his intake increased to around 7oz/feed.  I am giving a snack in the AM & a bottle when he wakes from his PM nap at 2.30.  He's now taking his solids way better than he used to.  I also use formula on his breakfast cereal to make sure he gets his calcium intake (we are also dairy free).