Author Topic: How much water with solids?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
How much water with solids?
« on: July 13, 2011, 21:12:33 pm »
Hi.  DS is just 6 months.  He started solids about 10 days ago and we are kind of doing BLW, porridge and finger foods (I say kind of, he is really tucking in and feeds himself very well indeed with porridge-loaded-spoons and finger foods, but he does some times get frustrated, possibly tired too, and wants the food in his mouth so I help a little).  He is swallowing a lot from the word go and had reduce his milk a little but I am making sure he is staying above the recommended 600ml per day of milk.
I offer water with solids (sippy cup to learn from but also bottle because he really needs the water and the sippy is too tricky yet even with help) but I'm not sure how much is enough.  So far I've followed his cues and let him have as much as he has wanted but I'm wondering is there a max across a day and should I offer milk instead?

Today he had much less milk than usual and wanted a lot more water.  It was a hot day and he also has a cough and cold and his poo was a little on the 'too-solid' side although I wouldn't say constipated...are these the reasons he took less milk and wanted water or do I need to regulate how much water he has to ensure he takes the milk?  I think after tonight's DF he will have just reached the 600ml where as other days it's more like 700ml.

Is oral water intoxication a risk?  Or is that only for pre-weaned babies?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:54:56 am »
I think you're doing fine.  :)  I don't think there is a max for water, especially in hot weather.  All those reasons you mentioned sound like good ones to offer more water.  I'm pretty sure you don't need to boil it past 6mos (I'm assuming that is what you meant by intoxication?). 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

Re: How much water with solids?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:02:07 am »
Thanks for your reply Martina.

Water intoxication is an imbalance of electrolytes in the body caused by drinking too much water.  It is really serious and can cause coma!  Here's a link to a bit of info

http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-give-my-newborn-water-or-sugar-water_10012.bc

And this is on the same site, saying even after 6 months only sips of water are needed but my LO wants more than sips when eating solids.

http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-drink-water_1368488.bc

I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.  Most of the time letting him have what he wants but when it looks like he is drinking a 'lot' I'll swap to milk just to make sure he gets enough milk and isn't filling up on water.  Yesterday was even more out of the ordinary, refusing (well, taking little) some milk feeds in pref for water but it really could be any of the reasons I listed so I don't think I'll worry unless it's a more long term thing.

Thank you for your help.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »
Interesting, I had never heard of water intoxication.  I have heard that it is not necessary to give water to young babies, mostly because I thought they got enough from breastmilk or formula.  I think after 6mos it is fine to offer it, especially if he is seeming really thirsty.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

Re: How much water with solids?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 18:23:21 pm »
Thanks.  I think it's this cold he has.  He is just far more interested in water at the moment than milk.  I'm just monitoring his intake of both at the minute and I think one of the reasons is the milk is being given warm (due to thickener for reflux it is supposed to go into slightly warm milk) where as the water is room temp or cold.  I offered cold milk today and he guzzled it...then had a coughing fit and brought the lot back with a load of mucus.  Poor thing!  I'm sure everything will be fine once he's over the cold.
Thanks for your help.