Author Topic: Getting rid of the bottles...  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« on: July 14, 2011, 21:47:58 pm »
DD will be 2 at the end of October. I have been trying to work on getting rid of the bottles. She has milk 3x a day-but really balks at the idea of not having it in a bottle.

Is there a right way? A right time?
Should I get rid of it gradually ie. 1 bottle at night, and the other 2 milk times in a sippy?(which she doesnt seem to drink much of)
Or should I just get rid of the bottles all at once.
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Getting rid of the bottles...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 14:36:38 pm »
You could keep the bedtime bottle for a while so you know she is getting one good drink of milk a day. I don't think there is a gradual way with toddlers, I would just stop the day milk in bottles altogether and offer it in sippies, if she wants it she will drink it once she realises it's the cup or nothing. You could take her shopping and let her choose a new and wildly exciting cup for her milk now she is a big girl ;)

Both my kids were on 2 bottles from 1 year. DS dropped his morning bottle at 18 months and bedtime at 2.5, with DD we swapped her morning milk to post breakfast snack in a sippy with some toast at 13 months and then her bedtime bottle to a cup at 18 months.

If she isn't drinking much milk you can increase the amount of dairy in her food to compensate - don't forget liquid milk isn't a food source any more and they only need around 14oz to get their needs met which includes the dairy in food.

Laura

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
Re: Getting rid of the bottles...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 16:28:35 pm »
We had the bed time bottle until ds was 2 years 9 months, he then gave it to Santa clause and Santa left him a new special cup for him to have his milk out of.he wouldn't drink the milk out of the cup but was fine about Santa having the bottle!