Author Topic: Naps went to pot:(  (Read 2468 times)

Offline charmie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
Naps went to pot:(
« on: July 14, 2011, 22:14:26 pm »
Ryan is 15wks.  Up until a couple of weeks ago his naps had really improved.  We were on a very good easy on most days.  Even on the days when we had appointments in the morning we would come home and get back on track.  When he showed tired signs I swaddled him, tool him to his room, sit on rocker, give him dummy, he put his head in my neck and we'd rock and shush pat until drowsy, then put in cot and leave. 

Now his A times are allover the place.  I follow his cues and take him to sleep even when it's earlier but then he starts fighting me as soon as I sit down on the rocker.  When he finally sleeps his naps are not longer than 45mins.  Then the following A times get even harder to guess.  The cycle continues... 

This makes us all miserable.  Because I'm back to not having any time to play with dd1.  Because his bad naps are affecting his nights (previously 7pm-7am).  He needs his dummy more because he gets OT and i'm afraid he'll get addicted.  And feel like I'm failing them everyday.

Any idea of what's going on?  Anything I can do to improve the situation?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 21:22:19 pm »
{{{hugs}}}

What A time is he on?  Is he maybe ready for a 3.5 hour EASY?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 21:23:08 pm »
Is his reflux under control at the minute?  Would that be playing a part?

Offline charmie

Re: Naps went to pot:(
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 21:35:26 pm »
A time was 1.5hrs for the 1st 2 naps and then 1hr15 fir the rest.  Now I don't know.  We never make it to 1hr30.  His tired signs are not very reliable right now.

There was a flare up in reflux lately.  His spit up increased drastically.  But doesn't seem to be in pain.  He takes a PPI( lansoprazole 15mg/day). 

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 22:52:27 pm »
Oh yuck!!! I hope it's not the 4 month old madness. Remember that's when we first become friends because of Lyle and K at the 4 month age. This time is just the pits for naps for so many little ones.

My guess is an increase in A time is needs. And/or you might need to up the dose. Maybe consider another 7.5-15mg at another time of the day? That helped a lot with Emory.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline charmie

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 00:57:06 am »
Do you think I should just watch the clock since his cues are so unreliable?  These short naps are exhausting.  Dd1 keeps moaning because she wants to play with me.  And I don't even have time to cook!  By the end of the day we're all tired and grumpy.  

Re. Meds the pedi won't increase the dose:/.  Do you think that the increase in spit up means he needs a higher dose?  He has a lot of spit up even after the first bottle when he's just had the meds.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:00:21 am by charmie »

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:22:28 am »
Can you hear any refluxing going on? I guess I should ask if you have ever heard it?

It's so hard to know at this age because it's a hard time for naps, but I do know that every time Emory needs a meds increase the sleep goes out the window :(  Are you on Prevacid?
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline charmie

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »
Yes prevacid.  Do you think the increased spit up could be caused by the acid??  And if I try to give him an extra half dose, how long before I see a change?  I was thinking that maybe now that we have increased the milk intake, the meds could be metabolized faster?

I tried the extra A times yesterday but only got 1 good nap out of him.  Will do it again today though.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 14:24:32 pm »
Good luck with the naps today. I hope they work out for you.

Have you talked to the doc about the extra spit up, etc. Do you think if you did he would increase it/
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline charmie

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 17:37:42 pm »
Uggggh I'm so tired of trying to put ds to sleep.  Yesterday I gave him long A times and he had 2 good naps and still woke up crying and upset from these naps.  I think he's OT.  And I can't find the right A time to help him catch up on his sleep. 
I have just been trying to extend a nap.  No such luck!  When I'm trying to help him he laughs and squeals.  When I leave he gets upset.  If I pick him up he starts to wriggle in my arms and won't let me shush/pat him.  Can't find anything that works.  And I can't understand whether it's a developmental thing, or reflux, or anything else.  Oh! Have I mentioned we're moving from US to UK this week?   :-\

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:49:35 am »
*hugs* I'll be honest with you I did VERY LITTLE nap extending with Emory. I can't remember if I was still trying at this age. As he got older he started doing what your little guy is doing. Laughing, playing, etc. And he still gets upset if I pick him up and he thinks I'm trying to put him back to sleep.
Just remember - this too shall pass. *hugs*
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline charmie

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 02:03:36 am »
He confuses me cause in the same day he'll let me shush/pat him for one nap but not for the other.  That's what makes me think it's an A time issue.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 14:50:25 pm »
Yeah, I can see how that would be confusing. You think too little A time? What about trying to extend by 5 minutes every couple of days?
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline charmie

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 22:17:02 pm »
Right now with all the medical appointments and now the relocation it's difficult to do the 5min thing.  I think I'll just have to go with the flow until we're settled and I can really concentrate on his naps for a number of days in a row.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 00:35:03 am »
I agree. I didn't know if that's what you wanted/needed to hear or not though :)   *hugs* you'll make it through the move.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010