Author Topic: Erratic feeding  (Read 1100 times)

Offline magicmoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:31 am »
Hi

My little one (almost 8 weeks) has been bottle fed from the beginning.  He used to feed fairly well but recently I have noticed that his feeding has become very erratic.  He is on 7 feeds a day and they vary from 50ml to 180ml+ depending.    A few things I have noticed:

- he feeds better at night.  Hi dream feed and middle of the night feed are usually 100+
-his bedtime feed is a disaster.   He goes down screaming almost every night but, over the course of one hour+, will take about 140ml
-his daytime feeds vary, which in turn affects his nap.  He has just (at 6.20am) taken 50ml having not fed since 2.30am.  This doesn't seem like much to me.  He has gone down for his nap after a shorter than usual playtime (45 mins).    I would be surprised if he makes it through to the next sleep cycle on 50ml...
- yesterday and the day before, he threw up his entire early morning feed.   
- he appears to me a little uncomfortable and spits the bottle in and out several times before eventually taking it (if he takes it at all).  Sometimes I feel I am forcing it into him.

Someone has suggested reflux?   Does anyone have experience of this or recognise these symptoms?   Another has suggested an intolerance?

Thank you

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Erratic feeding
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:53:42 am »
Can you post your EASY in terms of

Eat - what times, how much
Activity - how long for
Sleep - what times, how long for

We can have a look and see if anythign jumps out. Have a look at this link too and see if anything seems familiar http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Laura

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:23 am »
I was going to say this sounds like reflux to me.  My DS was a very erratic eater early on and did many of the things you mentioned (great eater at night --when he was more relaxed, pulling on and off the bottle), etc.  If Laura doesn't see any tweaks for your routine, then maybe talk to your ped about it if you think your LO is pain.  There are safe meds out there.  My DS has been on Zantac since 3 months old and he is 15 months now. xx 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)