Author Topic: Heating homemade baby food?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: July 15, 2011, 15:41:28 pm »
I have a short question about homemade baby food. How do you defrost/heat it? I was thawing it in refrigerator night before and then heating in bottle warmer. But now she eats more so containers I use now doesn't fit it and it takes more time. So I'm just taking cubes from the freezer and warm them in the microwave. But I'm in doubts if I can do so. Any advice? How do you warm the food?

And one more question about the quantity. How much average (LOL) 8,5 mo baby eats per meal? She is 4 times breast fed and on 3 meals (and 1-2 night feedings). How many oz they usually have at this age? She is having 3-4 and always wants more...

TIA

Offline MamaLiz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • mmmmm raspberries!
Re: Heating homemade baby food?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 16:12:13 pm »
Hi!

I made my own purees too and poured in ice cube trays to freeze.  I thawed the night before in plastic baggies and then could just put the baggie in a bowl of hot water - when at temp I wanted (she never liked anything too warm) I would snip the corner and squeeze it out.  Worked great, except you do lose a little that sticks to the sides of the bag, but not much.  You can also thaw that way.  I'm not sure how the microwave affects the food, but I use it in a pinch - At first DD didn't like cold food (even fruits and things) so I'd zap them for 5 seconds just to take the chill off.  I try not to go all the way from frozen to heated in the micro though - I don't really have a reason why, I just don't.  I know I've read not to micro breast milk, but I only ever found conflicting info about using for solids.  Uuugggghhh!

My LO also does 4 BFs and 3 meals.  She is eating lots of table and finger foods now (9.5 mo) and sometimes seems like she could keep going and going.  I asked the Dr. at our 9 month visit and he seems to be of the opinion that they will eat until they are full - I do worry though because sometimes it takes a while to realize you are full and I don't want her to have an upset tummy!  Hasn't happened yet though (that we know of).  I will try to find a link to the site I found that had example solids and milk amounts, but if I can't I can come back and write it out because I know I have it down in the kitchen.  To be honest, we haven't been measuring for a while and are trying to use common sense and go with the flow so I can better learn her cues.  It's pretty clear now when she is done eating as she will start goofing around - spitting or not open up for another bite - she will even sometimes shake her head no when offered more.  I look forward to when she can sign "more" or "food" or "drink" so then I can feel more sure - not entirely convinced that her no-no head shake is reliable. :)

Offline MamaLiz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • mmmmm raspberries!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 16:36:35 pm »
Hi again - the info below is cut and pasted from babycenter.com - I think it's good for a rough idea, but I think we deviate from this a bit - I think my LO eats a bit more (she is 98th percentile for height) and as I mentioned, is eating mostly table foods now.  I really like our Dr. and he says a mother's intuition and ability to know and read her baby's signs is more valuable and reliable than any chart he could give - as long as they keep gaining and stay on their growth curve.  I'm sure you're doing great and she's getting what she needs - if it seems like she wants more, maybe try giving her a bit more and see?  I remember thinking that my LO would keep eating as long as I fed her!  My Dr. also said you don't have to worry too much about not feeding enough solids as they will make up in BFs what they need, and that at this time it is more about learning how to eat, and introducing the foods and new textures so they have an easier transition when weaning.

Are you doing any finger foods?  We started with finger foods a little early (around 8 months rather than waiting until 9) as it seemed that she was interested in what we were eating more and more and enjoyed having tastes from whatever it was.  We introduced purees a bit early - around 5 months for the same reasons - she would sit with us while we ate and she was fascinated and would not take her eyes off our plates - she'd watch the fork go from plate to mouth to plate regardless of what toys we gave her - just seemed like the right time and she took to it right away with both.
Hope this helps!

From Babycenter:

Signs of readiness for solid and finger foods

Same as 6 to 8 months, PLUS
    Picks up objects with thumb and forefinger (pincer grasp)

Can transfer items from one hand to the other
    Puts everything in his mouth
    Moves jaw in a chewing motion

What to feed

Breast milk or formula, PLUS
    Small amounts of soft pasteurized cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese (but no cows' milk until age 1)
    Iron-fortified cereals (rice, barley, wheat, oats, mixed cereals)
    Mashed fruits and vegetables (bananas, peaches, pears, avocados, cooked carrots, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes)
    Finger foods (lightly toasted bagels, cut up; small pieces of ripe banana; well-cooked spiral pasta; teething crackers; low-sugar O-shaped cereal)
    Small amounts of protein (egg, pureed meats, poultry, and boneless fish; tofu; well-cooked and mashed beans with soft skins like lentils, split peas, pintos, black beans)

How much per day

1/4 to 1/3 cup dairy (or 1/2 oz. cheese)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup iron-fortified cereal
    1/4 to 1/2 cup fruit
    1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetables
    1/8 to 1/4 cup protein foods

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 18:03:35 pm »
You can use the microwave, but be very careful to stir the food thoroughly and check the temperature before giving it.  Microwaving can create 'hot pockets' in the food so if you don't stir it and test it baby could get a very hot mouthful.  I think it's best to defrost in the fridge where you can.  Heating food in glass bowls sitting in hot water works too, though takes longer.

How much babies it varies from baby to baby, and there is no right or wrong.  Sounds like your LO is doing great.  Maybe instead of offering more purees, you can start incorporating more finger foods instead.

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:25:41 am »
Thanks ladies for advices!
My DD doesn't like really warm food, so I just kinda thaw it in micro and of course stir it veery well and always try it before giving to her. I was just curious if the food doesn't loose its vitamins etc that way. I don't trust microwaves too much IYKWIM but it seems so much easier that way... And if she asks for more just in seconds another potrrion is ready.
It seems we are doing good in food department, we started late because of her MSPI in my milk (or glutein, i'm on elimination diet) and go slowly with new foods. Also she gets constipated easily, so I'm really planning her meals. She is still not ready for finger foods though her pincer grasp is great, she just doesn't put anything in her mouth. Also she doesn't like new textures yet, she likes food very well pureed. But I think this will change anyway sooner or later. I was just not sure how much solids I should offer.
Many thanks for information!!!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:42:31 am »
I don't think it's the most ideal way of heating stuff up but it isn't harmful.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:57:03 am »
I used the microwave, heated from frozen until boiling then cooled to the right temperature.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/