Author Topic: Starting solids - when? how?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline epmoreno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rocking the Great Wall
Starting solids - when? how?
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:28:05 am »
Our DS is 4 months old and quite a big boy. It has been one month now that he is on formula and, though he is gaining weight, he doesn't seem to be drinking as much as he should (in the box it says 6-7 oz per feed and he only does 4-5). He has also started asking for food during the night while he used to sleep through the night before.

This is his routine:

7-feed
10.30 - feed
2 - feed
5.30 - feed
8.30 - feed
11 - dream feed

Following the advice of the pediatrician we have started mixing some cereals with his last and first bottle. He seems to like it so i think that maybe he it would be a good moment to start with some rice as solid. Just wondering if 4 months is too early and, if not, how can we start?

Thank you !!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 14:33:03 pm by epmoreno »

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 16:04:37 pm »
IMO 4mos is too early, but that is just my personal opinion and is based on what I have read and my own experience.  Especially since you are saying he is not taking full milk feeds, I would be inclined to hold off on the solids because milk is still the most important part and you don't want him to start taking even less milk.

What stands out to me the most about your routine is that he is still eating 3.5 hourly.  I think if you were to stretch him to 4 hourly feeds you might find he starts drinking more milk at each bottle.  Overall though he is getting enough milk, just in more feeds than he would need at this age, kwim?

I would move him to a 4hr EASY first and then re-evaluate whether or not it is time to start solids.

Here are some links you might find helpful:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=36922.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=209678.0  ***weaning chart meant for babies starting solids at 6mos of age***

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline epmoreno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rocking the Great Wall
Re: Starting solids - when? how?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 19:15:46 pm »
Thanks Martina,

I am following your advice and trying to get my little one into a 4 hours schedule. Sometimes is hard to make it because he gets really nervous but, even though he is still far from drinking as much as he should, he is drinking more than before.

Reading the posts you sent I think he may be ready very soon but I think you are right and is totally worth to get him first more stable into a solid drinking routine.

Thanks a lot !