Author Topic: 3.5 month old- hungry?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline charmie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
3.5 month old- hungry?
« on: July 17, 2011, 19:19:35 pm »
Ryan is 3.5months.  He weighed 9.2lbs at birth.  He weighs circa 17lbs now.  He is formula fed.  5 feeds of 7oz each during the day 7-7.  No df no nf.  Lately he started polishing his bottles and then starts crying or looks for more.  His naps were good but now have gone to pot.  His nights are not as good as they used to be but not that bad.  In the morning he can wait for the bottle but as soon as he sees it he becomes excited and then he drains it.

If I go by his weight I should increase his milk intake.  But he has reflux so I'm reluctant to fill him up too much, especially since his spit up has increased drastically in the past 2 wks.

WWYD?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3.5 month old- hungry?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 19:38:59 pm »
It's a tough call with refluxers. It sounds like he is ready for bigger bottles, or at least is hungrier now - has he started to get hungrier since he has started spitting up more? You could offer smaller feeds a bit more frequently - if he is on a 3 hour EASY you could drop it back to a 2.5/ 2.75 so he gets an extra bottle or two during the day. He is getting a good amount of formula over those 5 bottles so I wonder if the reflux meds are working well or is it time for a tweak?

My DD started pouring her thickened formula back up when she was about 4 months old, she would literally just open her mouth and it would flow out of her, so we had to start solids early at 17 weeks (under the guidance of her paed), rice cereal was a good move for her.

Laura

Offline charmie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 19:47:34 pm »
I am also wondering whether he's outgrown his meds dosage.  He has 15mg of prevacid a day.  I give him 1/2 a dose every 12hrs.  He's had that since he was 4 or 5wks.  The pedi won't increase the dose :/. And we're leaving the states next week so running out of time.

As for the hunger (?) I think it started round about the same time the spit up increased.

It's kinda strange cause he had silent reflux before, then one day he had no spit up at all!!  And the next day he started spilling it out by the mouthful.

Offline charmie

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 19:49:19 pm »
His naps went to pot at around the same time too:/

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 19:53:22 pm »
I think the meds need tweaking then! His dose is a decent size dose I think - have you tried giving it in one dose instead of two - maybe the smaller dose twice isn't as good as it could be if given once? Would your Dr allow you to give the PPI in one dose and maybe add zantac in?

Laura

Offline charmie

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 20:22:43 pm »
I don't know if she would add in the Zantac.  We started off with it and it didn't make any difference on it's own.  As for the PPI she'd be ok with giving the whole dose at once as that's how we started but I found that splitting the dose worked better for Ryan.  I'm a bit scared of giving the whole dose at once.  I would need to give it in the am and I think he would have metabolized it completely by bt.  What happens during the night?

TBH today I gave him the whole dose in the am, with the intention of giving him another 1/2 dose at bt.  So far there was no real improvement in spit up, nor in the nap quality.  And I can't keep doing this for many days as then the fortnight's supply will finish sooner.  And the insurance won't cover a new one much sooner than 2 weeks later.

So should I forget about ramping up the milk intake?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 23:14:50 pm »
I wonder if he is starting the 4 month GS a little early???  And that could also mean he is hitting that 4 month sleep regression early as well :)