Author Topic: New to pat/shh 10 wo  (Read 1114 times)

Offline mrswoolley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »
Hi there! Don't know if I'm posting in the right thread...
My 10wo daughter has got into the habit of sleeping in her buggy or in the car or worst case, being rocked in the car seat for her naps as I have had to go back to work for a few days (our own business) and I'm out and about a lot anyway. She will settle after her 10pm feed and go down in her moses basket without any problems but putting her back down after her 3:30-4am is tough.
I started boot camp this week and have been giving her some A time, reading her cues (or trying to - spirited baby!), swaddling her and going into her dark nursery before patting and shhing. She closes her eyes in my arms and I put her down and continue to pat her for 10-15mins with some white noise in the background. I find that she often wakes after twenty mins and I can't get her back down...any tips?
Sometimes pat/shh doesn't settle her so I cradle her and let her suck my finger (she's not keen on a dummy and neither are we - although if it had worked...instead she wakes when it falls out!) until she closes her eyes and then put her down and gently pat her chest for 10-15 mins).
I'm not expecting immediate results but am I doing the right things? Why will she only nap for 20 mins after I stop patting?!
Please help..any advice gratefully received...
Emma

Offline mrswoolley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:14:37 am »
Anyone????? :'(

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: New to pat/shh 10 wo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:02:52 pm »
Hi there.  How's things been going?  Can you post her current EASY and A times and I'll have a look at her routine for you  :-*

Offline mrswoolley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 19:57:21 pm »
Hi Karen
Thanks for responding! I have been persevering with trying to put her down for her naps in her cot. I've found that patting her chest when she's down is more effective than putting her on her side and patting her back. I still can't put her down awake though  :-[
I have found that I can almost set the clock on her waking after 30 mins now!! So frustrating and it's not enough for her, she just gets overtired and then is a nightmare in the evenng and will fight to stay awake! The short naps mean that she thinks she needs milk earlier than she is due (FF) and then needs less A time before her next nap. She offers few signals for being tired but I certainly know when she is OT! In the evening, should I bath and  then feed or vice versa?
EASY roughly as follows:
Wake 0800
E 0815
A
S 0930 wakes at 10 normally!

E 1130
A
S 1200 will sometimes sleep for 2 hours before I wake her but may also only sleep for 30 mins!

E 1400-1430
A
S 1600 normally 30 mins

Bath 1800-1830
E 1830
A
S 2000 again often 30 mins but may sleep until 2200 when we feed her - always AP this sleep as I don't want to upset the evening sleep

E 2200 falls asleep after feeding and goes down in moses basket
NW between 0330-0430
S

Any help and advice is very gratefully received!

Offline LettiesMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 21:56:13 pm »
Hi Emma...didn't think I'd see you here! (bw)

One thing that's jumping out at me, and I may be reading this wrong, but is she going from 4.30 til 8pm before sleeping? That's a lot of A time for such a young age, if so. I'd say that if she's going to sleep OT then that's why you're having probs getting her to sleep after her NF.

And if she wakes at 10am then you may need to reduce her A time because 2hrs to her next nap is probably going to be too long for her at this age with short naps also

Also OS is a killer for Sonny...which is why he goes up to bed at 7pm. Have you thought about putting her to sleep somewhere dark and quiet? Personally, I'd struggle to sleep with the general household noise we make so maybe she's struggling to switch off from all the stimulus? Especially if she's OT?

Personally I'd do everything I could to get her to catch up on the sleep that she needs...I'd be tempted to AP as much as possible if needs be. It'll be easier to train her when she's not OT.
Scarlett born 27/11/07
8lb 0.5oz

Sonny born 02/05/11
8lb 0.5oz also!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 22:56:45 pm »
Hi,

Just got a couple of qs.  So does LO sleep through between 4.30 and 8am? Do you feed at nw?

Offline mrswoolley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:21:22 am »
Thanks for the replies!
Ava won't sleep from 4pm - 8pm, it's not that we don't try. She wakes from her afternoon nap after only 30 mins and then won't settle until 8ish, if at all! She settles at her 10pm feed without any issues...the night from then isn't too bad although this morning she struggled to re-settle after her night feed.
I try to reduce activity time but she won't go to sleep so ends up awake for hours and then wanting next feed early!
Yes, she wakes somewhere between 3:30 and 4:30am and she has a nappy change as she is normally wet through and a 5oz bottle.
x

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 20:06:26 pm »
I used to get that from dd when she was the same age.  She'd cluster feed in the evenings and would be awake for most of it but on the plus side she sttn quiet early  ;). I found that things with her settled down around the 3 month mark.  Your dd is still very young and I'm sure you'll find she'll settle into a routine better when she's a bit older. 

I always did bath then feed as feed would make them feel sleepy and ready for bed.