Author Topic: Won't Use Cutlery  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Won't Use Cutlery
« on: July 20, 2011, 14:42:19 pm »
DS is 25.5 months. Been a WAY picky eater since about 13-15 months old and while that is slowly getting better (he's still miles from a good eater but at least it's nearing reasonable I guess), he will still only eat finger foods. And since he doesn't like the way many foods feel on his hands, he doesn't then try them. I've tried kid spoons, adult spoons, forks (stabbing bites for him and not), etc but nothing works. He will "sometimes" try to eat soup with a spoon (but the broth only) and used to feed himself yogurt with a spoon sometimes but not anymore.

Any ideas to encourage him to use cutlery more often?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Re: Won't Use Cutlery
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 15:28:19 pm »
Nope.  DS1 is 5 and stil has days when the cutlery is just a decoration on the table.  It will come with time I think

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 17:03:43 pm »
F struggles with the frustration cutlery involves lol  So cutlery usually gets thrown in our house and removed from the table.  Or he'll just nicely give up on his own and use his fingers instead.  It's why we don't offer soup yet.

Modeling is the best thing you can do really. 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 17:10:34 pm »
Thanks Deb. DD doesn't like to be messy - so unless it truly is finger food she uses a spoon and fork rather nicely! It's really more just that I'd like him to even show an interest in using them or try once in a while. At least he will play with them when playing with my pots and pans and all. Wendy - we definitely do model - he has breakfast with DD daily (and I'd say half the time she has cereal/milk in a bowl with a spoon) and dinner is usually with both DD and I (sometimes I eat later with DH) and we almost always use cutlery - except tonight since it's sandwich night!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grants

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Mr 'I know exactly what I want!'
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:48:43 am »
M eats very nicely with fork and spoon, but most days he just prefers to use his hands. I always set the table with 1 fork and 1 spoon for him and I leave him to it. I think it’s all very much to do with their personalities. We don’t have many meals together, mostly only on weekends due to DH getting home late during the week and M having early BTs etc… so there is no much modelling in our family and despite this lack of family meals M already uses his cutlery????? Who knows with these kids?! lol