Author Topic: Bottle feeding help line?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Lissie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 21, 2011, 15:24:17 pm »
ANyone know of a bottle feeding help line? Theres loads for breast feeding ones...but I need to talk to someone about getting my 3 month old to drink from a bottle. Shes breast fed at the mo and tried evrything x

Thanks

Lissie

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Bottle feeding help line?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 15:30:38 pm »
Hi hun are you in the UK? Just thinking your health visitor might have some ideas?
Otherwise a lovely lady on here went cold turkey breast to bottle so I will ask her to pop on and have a look :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 15:38:49 pm »
There is lots of info here:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173309.0

I don't think it's recommended any more that you go cold turkey especially in the early months because of the risk of dehydration.

Are you wanting to stop BFing altogether or just want LO to take a bottle each day?

Offline Roseii

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 15:43:39 pm »
Sorry yes not meaning to imply you should go cold turkey (def don't do that) Just that said lady might have some useful info with regards to introducing a bottle xx

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 16:42:37 pm »
Please, please don't go cold turkey to force your lo to take a bottle.  Cold turkey weaning should really only be used in emergencies (like for medical reasons) and must be done under medical supervision, especially at this young age.  Cold turkey weaning is stressful for mom and baby, and when breastmilk is baby's only source of food/drink cold turkey weaning can quickly lead to dehydration.  I know that Tracy discussed cold turkey weaning in BWSAYP, but current breastfeeding research and knowlege has changed significantly since Tracy's too-early passing.

What is your ultimate goal?  Are you looking to wean breastfeeding entirely, or are you introducing a bottle for a specific feed(s) each day, or an occasional feed for an evening out?  Are you using formula or pumped breastmilk?  What have you tried?  Have you stuck to one type of bottle or are you changing it?  If you're changing it, how many types have you tried and how frequently have you changed them?  Are you trying to give the bottles or is someone else?

I had to get Dylan to take a bottle in preparation for my return to work and was in a bit of a panic.  I pumped and bottle fed for the first 3mo and I thought I'd have no problem - boy was I wrong!  Shiv gave you the same link I would have, and here's Dylan's and my story if that helps:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173308
Here's also a link from Kellymom (a fantastic online breastfeeding resource) on bottle feeding the breastfed baby:  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Please post again and let us know what you've tried, how things are going, and what your goal is.  We are happy to help :-*

D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Lissie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 17:49:15 pm »
If its any help Vikki I wrote the post earlier on in the list with sad face as icon...that shows all the things Ive tried. No ...I would never go cold turkey though lots of people have suggested it

:Lissie x

Offline Roseii

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 18:25:04 pm »
Just to clarify I absolutely wasn't suggesting going cold turkey, just that the bw'er on here who did (for medical reasons) may have suggestions for encouraging the bottle.

Are you in the uk Hun? X

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 20:39:05 pm »
Charli means me  :).

I have switched both my children to bottles for medical reasons. DS at 6 mths due to reflux and needing to take a hypoallergenic formula, and DD at 9 mths as I needed to start treatment urgently which I could not continue to BF during.

I agree with Shiv that the 'don't give a BF until they have taken a bottle' thing is old fashioned, very hard for Mum and baby, and not appropriate for such a young baby who is not yet taking any other forms of food or hydration. But I do think that some babies do actually need to be hungry in order to want to work out how to take the bottle.

My DS took me 2 days to get him to take a bottle (he did get some BFs during that time though), and DD took it the first morning I tried (after a few hours). She is my angel and she gave in VERY easily compared to DS. Once DS had taken the bottle I gave it him exclusively for 48hrs (pumping to maintain supply) and then went to mixed feeding after that. With DD I mix fed for about 1 week and dropped a new feed every few days - but I here I had no other option.

What have you tried Lissie?? And what end point are you trying to get too?? Willingness to take a bottle every now and again, mix feeding, or stopping breast feeding completely??

Personally I think the most important thing is to pick a plan and stick to it. So pick a bottle (anticolic so the vacuum isn't an issue is likely best for a BF baby), pick a teat that seems roughly appropriate (I like MAM silk teats, and a lot of BF babies like them or latex rather than silicone, likely a size 1 for a 3 mth old unless you have a very fast milk flow), and pick a feed where you will offer the bottle everyday. Decide whether you want eBM or formula (I always did eBM and then diluted later for formula), and how you think your LO will take it (some Mums talk of different positions to a BF but both my babies wanted to be cuddled for milk). Make sure the milk is nice and warm. Both my babies took from me rather than anyone else.

I did a bit of experimenting beforehand to work out how all that stuff would work best  ;).

I am here to help as well if I can  :-* :-* :-*.

TBH I think the main thing is to be very calm and stress free as you did it. I do wonder if that is what made a difference with DD - I HAD to get her to take a bottle and I had 1 week to do it - and the last thing I wanted to do was upset her as I had intended to keep feeding - so I approached very calmly instead of fussing and getting flustered (like I did with DS).

What is your LOs personality???

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 20:45:55 pm »
Just to clarify I absolutely wasn't suggesting going cold turkey, just that the bw'er on here who did (for medical reasons) may have suggestions for encouraging the bottle.
Sorry Charli!  I knew you didn't mean just do it.  Was just pointing out it isn't the best route in case anyone else stumbled across the thread and thought you did mean that!  I should have wrote that too!

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 06:51:18 am »
Lissie- Is it the temperature that she doesnt like in the bottles? When I switched to bottles, I would pump and give it directly to her so the temperature was exactly what came out. Also, I made my husband give her the bottles at first and I would leave the house or the room so she didnt know that I was around. good luck!