Author Topic: Is it too early to BLW?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline pondofstillwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Is it too early to BLW?
« on: July 23, 2011, 15:49:52 pm »
My nearly 5 month old took my scone today and had a good munch on it... she definitely swallowed some and spit out some...

Is it too early for baby this young to do BLW?

Should I keep offering food to her and see what she does? Or should I wait till 6 months?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Is it too early to BLW?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 17:08:01 pm »
I believe the BLW theory is that if they have the skills to get food into their mouths they have the oral skills to deal with it. My two both started having finger foods between 5 and 6 months because they were able to pick things up and get them in their mouths. However I did stick to plain foods like broccoli, steamed carrots etc because of the guidelines in the UK that say no gluten before 6 months. Once they hit 6 months they had toast, sandwich fingers and pasta.

Have you read the BLW book to see what it says? I gave my copy away so can't check!

Laura

Offline pondofstillwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Is it too early to BLW?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 16:49:14 pm »
Yearh, I read the book, it came from my mother in law from the UK...

It was more of a fun for us trying to see what DD would do to the scone... then it came to us much as a surprise...

I will definitely have plain veggie and fruits next time when she is at our table... safety first.

Still think it is too early but then every baby is different... She has been watching us eating intently for couple of weeks now and she is teething.