Author Topic: Dreamfeeding-should I keep doing it?  (Read 991 times)

Offline Abbiesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 24, 2011, 13:43:39 pm »
My oh has been giving our ds a df for about 6 weeks now, he has only ever taken a couple of ounces. (a full feed for him is only about 4). This normally gets him through til between 3 and 4am. We are currently changing his EASY from 3 hourly to 3.5 hourly, I still give him five bottles but two of them are close together. The night before last these feeds were two hours apart and he ate both and had his usual df and took 2oz. Yesterday I changed his first feed to 8 rather than 7 as he never takes a full feed at 7 as it is too close to his nf. Because of this his last two feeds were only 1 hour and a bit apart so he only took 21/2 oz. He then took 3oz at his df but woke an hour earlier for his nf??

Why did he do this? Does he really need that df if he only takes half a feed? I have tried dropping the df before and he managed 7 to 1am the first night and it gradually ended up at 12pm befriend I re-introduced it as I didn't want to keep getting up twice during the night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like I am constantly battling a new problem with ds and not enjoying being a mum again :(

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Dreamfeeding-should I keep doing it?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:08:48 am »
I would drop it if he isn't taking a full feed.  He will wake earlier out of habit to begin with, but it should get better fairly quickly.. how old is you LO?

Offline Abbiesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:57:47 am »
He will be 12 weeks tomorrow. So if I drop it do I feed him when he wakes after bt and then when he wakes again? The problem is I have such trouble sleeping anyway and I can't expect my oh to get up during the night to feed as he has to go to work and I don't know if I can go back to getting up twice for him. He is a good boy in that he eats and settles down really well through the night. The last time I dropped his df he woke earlier and earlier each night and after four nights I re-introduced it, the one good thing that happened after that was he stopped needing his dummy to go to sleep! How long would you expect him to wake earlier through habit, should I drop it for longer than 4 days?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dreamfeeding-should I keep doing it?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 16:10:01 pm »
If you drop the DF then yes, you will need to feed when he wakes after bedtime (assuming it's at least 3 hours) and later in the night if he wakes and is hungry. You can try to resettle first, but if he's hungry he won't settle for long. I think you either need to carry on giving the DF or stop doing it and leave him to wake when hungry, if you keep stopping and starting it then it will be more unsettling for him. You may find he only wakes the once between bedtime and morning, my two didn't take to the DF and by 12 weeks were only waking once (from what I can remember anyway!).

Laura