Poll

Due to teething?

More interested in solids?
1 (100%)
Normal?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Major decrease in formula intake; from 6oz to 1-2oz  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Mia's Mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Major decrease in formula intake; from 6oz to 1-2oz
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:48 am »
My LO is 9mos (adjusted 8mos). Introduced solids at 6mos and switched to sippy cups at 7mos. She has 4 teeth fully exposed, fifth tooth is about a quarter out, and sixth tooth is just poking thru. Starting yesterday, her milk intake has drastically reduced, from 6oz to 1-2oz on each feeding. I've read that it's normal to drink less milk when solids are introduced but it was the opposite w/ my LO. She actually began to drink an oz or two more on each feeding. Her naps are changing a little, and I assume it's because of the "wonky" phase. There have been a few nites she's woken and cried for a few moments but she goes back to bed (dreams?) without any consoling. I'm making sure to give her plenty of solids to compensate the milk but if I fed her until she stops taking food, we could be at the table for 2 hrs. She's not a "big" baby; 9mo appt she weighed 17lbs 14oz (32%) and length 28.5" (81%). She is definitely active, so I assume she is just burning up calories.

I know all babies are different but it seems as though this milk reduction is quite drastic...???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Major decrease in formula intake; from 6oz to 1-2oz
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:19:05 am »
She needs a minimum of 20oz a day and that can include the milk in solids but if she has reduced her milk intake that dramatically then I would scale the solids right back for a few days until her milk intake picks up again. At her age  milk is still way more important for her dietry needs, teething could be playing a part so you can try teething gel etc before feeds too. If you aren't on the fastest flow teat try changing that too.

Laura