Author Topic: iron  (Read 1655 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
iron
« on: July 31, 2011, 13:38:31 pm »
I know some people go straight to fruit instead of baby rice, etc which I am considering .... just wondering what foods are best as I know iron stores start fading around 6 months.  He is ebf and I am dairy/soya free for him.

Was also wondering how quickly you can build up solids as I am pretty sure Oliver will eat loads if/when offered - we are starting next week, or just after that :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: iron
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 17:42:16 pm »
Lucy - this is the reason that Canada now recommends meat as one of baby's first foods - especially when EBF ;)

Remember that BF is first, then solids ;)  As for how fast you can build up solids, follow LO's cues - if that little mouth is still opening, keep spooning it in.  I always left a few days between new foods though, just to monitor for a reaction.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 18:17:31 pm »
As for how fast you can build up solids, follow LO's cues - if that little mouth is still opening, keep spooning it in.
That's what I am worried about! ;)  Murray eats so much and Oliver has gained weight quicker than he did ::) I suppose if he has his milk first then it should be fine, and cut down the solids if he stops taking milk.

Thanks for the info about the meat ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:29:58 am »
LOL!  Mine is really hit and miss with solids - she has been a crazy eater a few times and then other times, she isn't all that interested.  I just keep offering ;) 

I would just do milk first like you said above.

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:33:39 am »
 I give D alot of fortified foods as I am just so worried about her not getting the nutrients she needs due to being dairy free. Weetabix, cheerios and rusks are all staples over here and are packed with iron.

She doesn't really take that well to soy milk, nor did she really like oat milk so I have started putting pureed fruit on her weetabix in the am with some apple juice too instead of milk.

I skipped the rice stuff with both of mine, too much faffing and to be honest the stuff is like wallpaper paste and I wouldn't want to eat it! We went straight to fruit and veggies and once they were ok with all of then on to meats etc. It went fairly quickly and they were both on purees with meat in them after a couple of weeks.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:46 am »
I am just so worried about her not getting the nutrients she needs due to being dairy free.
that's my concern too.  Suppose Ready Brek would be good as similar texture to baby rice, etc as Murray loves it (even though I think it is horrid!).  Don't have concerns about what and how much Oliver will eat, assuming he follows in Murray's footsteps, it's more just what is good for him to eat.  Will also avoid carrots, citrus fruit and berries for a bit as Murray (and DH as a baby) had problems  with them ....

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 17:12:41 pm »
Hi, brocolli and spinach are both high and iron and really easy to get into baby purees  :) Also, some dried fruits. Seem to remember a good dried apricot puree in Annabel Karmel's book I made a lot.