Author Topic: Eating fruit  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Bobcat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Eating fruit
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:50:45 am »
Hi.  This is probably a silly question but I'm wondering when is ok to give uncooked fruit.  At the moment I cook and puree apricots, pear, apple, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries and my 8 and a half month old loves them.  I have given him mashed papaya and banana without cooking (but the banana gives him wind even when very ripe so I've stopped that).  I'd love to give him some fruit as finger food but not sure when it's ok to give raw fruit or what's best to start with.

Also wondering about hummus as he's starting to eat rice cakes but they seem so bland!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Eating fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:33:16 am »
Hello.  My LO is 6.5 months and eats loads of uncooked fruit as finger foods.

Ripe melon, apricot, nectarine, cherries, grapes, pear, plum, avocado all go down very well.

Obviously remove any pips/stones, cut small fruit like cherries and grapes in half as they are more of a choke hazard, other stuff I cut into wedges or moon shapes (the moon shape or a zig-zag strip or wedge is easier to pick up when it is slippery food).  I often leave skin on as it is easier to grip (even avocado and melon, DS doesn't eat the skin) although you might get a gag from certain skins (eg nectarine) if LO tries to swallow it in one go.
Another thing you can try to reduce slipperiness of fruits is to roll in wheatgerm or baby rice powder which sort of coats and dries the outside to help pick up - depends how much help your LO needs, maybe none at 8.5 months.  DS usually manages pretty well, if he gets frustrated I hold the fruit for him to gnaw on for a while and then he chooses to take over.

If refluxy at all I'd avoid acidic fruits such as apple and possibly ripe pear, DS was sick after pear and I think that was the reason.  He can eat it steamed or baked in wedges.

Hummus DS has been eating since just under 6 months, loves it either as a mushy food on a spoon or spread on toast.  Just bare in mind the salt content when working out the daily menu so you don't go over the allowance.

Cream cheese is great on rice cake or toast too (again allow for salt allowance with any cheese), or guacamole, smooth peanut butter (as long as no allergies in the family), or any of your pureed foods use as a kind of spread.

(Check out the salt content of the rice cakes, you can get salt free or just keep in mind LOs daily intake.)

Offline Bobcat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Eating fruit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:45:47 am »
That's brillliant - thanks!