Author Topic: 9mo - 2 to 1 transition???  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Duby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9mo - 2 to 1 transition???
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:34 pm »
Hello

DD used to sleep 1.5 in the morning and 1.5-2 (or sometimes more) in the afternoon... but AM nap is shortening. At first it was 75 minutes, but for the last 3 days it has been 30 to 45 minutes.
In these 3 days she has also been waking earlier, at 5.50 while she usually wakes at 6.30-7, and she's also been waking at 2.30-3 am - she's been awake for 40 to 50 minutes, crying a bit at first, then playing in the cot.
This was our EASY yesterday:
woke up at 5.50
morning nap 9 - 9.45
afternoon nap 1.20 - 3.40
bedtime: 7.50, she fell asleep at 8.15 (it usually take less for her to fall asleep)
Could it be already the 2 to 1 transition? She'll be 9 months in 4 days.

thanks
Debora

Offline sgqx

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 14:13:52 pm »
My baby is also 9 mo, and her naps are getting shorter.  She wakes up every 30 minutes.  I either pat or rock her back to sleep and she wakes up again after 30 minutes, sometime shorter.  She used to nap 1 hr 10 min in the morning and 1-1.5 hrs in the afternoon.  I hope she still can make her own transition to deep sleep after 30 mins and take 2 naps per day, since I think it might be too early to have 1 nap at this age. 

Her night sleep is from 7:10-5:40.  She starts to wake up before 6 during the past few weeks.

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: 9mo - 2 to 1 transition???
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 16:14:39 pm »
If she's on the higher end of A times then yes, it could be.  Have a read of this thread first to see if it answers some of your questions:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 13:31:13 pm »
I read the thread before posting but I wasn't sure whether this was the case or not.
DD's A times seem to be the usual 3 hours, only naps lenght is never the same. Yesterday she even slept only 45 in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon, when she sleeps an average of 2.5-3 hours a day!
And also wake up time is not consistent: this morning she woke up at 7.30 when a couple of days ago she woke at 6.
Could it be teething? 6 already came out, 2 are about to break the gum and other 2 are on their way, but this has not affect daytime sleep that much before...

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 13:40:23 pm »
Hi, my DD started the 2:1 transition at 9 months and I had to start capping her naps to reduce her daytime sleep slightly. She finally transitioned at 12 months and we have been on one nap since then. In our house teeth really do disrupt sleep, so it could be that too. Have you tried giving pain meds before naps and BT if your DD is teething to see if this helps her to sleep longer?

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 13:57:41 pm »
Our paediatrician doesn't want me to administer any medication for teething, she just told me to patient  :)
I also tried homeopathy but nothing changed.
I think we are quite lucky with teething anyway: the last 4 came out at the same time, but apart from DD being nervous at times and a few NW nothing else happened...

Offline annette.xx

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 14:10:58 pm »
Hi there

I remember the 2;1 so well with my DD (now 2) and its hard work!! I would always think she was teething but she was always OT...heres how I fixed it...

allow that first nap to become short so 45 mins is fine this is natures way of self regulating so go with it if you can! Keep that first nap with a 9/9.30 timing for start time regardless of wake time - then next nap will need to happen 3hrs 15 after the am nap - this hopefully should be a long one then bedtime will need to be at 7pm if it was a good pm nap or at 6 - 6.30 if it was a short one...

this really helped me massively - took me until 11 months to finally figure it out properly hopefully you will get straight now and save all the dramas!!! lol!!

fingers crossed for you! ;D

Annette.xx

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 15:03:21 pm »
thank you Annette!
I just don't know if I will be able to put her down before the 3 hours mark... she usually gets upset when I try to ;D
But I will surely try your plan: a few days ago, when she was waking at 6, she napped 45 minutes at 9 and had great 2.5h naps in the afternoon and she was perfectly fine with it.
When you figured this out how long did it take to make the transition?
I'll let you know how it goes!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 03:21:17 am »
The set morning nap can work well for some LOs but not others.

For some this can backfire and encourage EW and OT by BT if the afternoon nap is short or the A to BT too long. Looking at your EASY I think if you keep the nap at 9 you will possibly be encouraging your LO to wake earlier. It does look like your LO is naturally starting the 2-1 and to keep your WU at a reasonable hour you will need to push out that first nap a bit but still keep it at 45 mins or less. (Depending on your LOs A times and PM nap) If she then takes a long PM nap in the early afternoon this will keep your BT at a reasonable hour and hopefully minimize the EW. :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 16:02:33 pm »
I really don't know what to think now.... it's the third day in a row that DD has just a 45 min nap in the afternoon.
No matter how hard I try: she won't go back to sleep! And of course she is really OT afterwards.
This morning she slept 1h15min.
Any suggestion???

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 17:23:36 pm »
I agree with Sara - limit her AM nap, I would wake her at 1 hr if she isn't already awake. 

What A time did she have between her AM nap and PM nap?  45 mins could be OT or UT.

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 18:31:45 pm »
Today she was OT for sure... unfortunately we were out and nobody (including DH) understands that she must be at home on time to nap. Today we were 45 min late, but she was yawning before the usual 3hours mark, so we were probably an hour or more late.
Tomorrow we will be at home and I'll take care of it! I'll try to limit first nap at 1hr, hoping this will help to extend the afternoon one!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 23:04:51 pm »
Men... ugh.

Tomorrow is a new day!

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 14:20:59 pm »
HELP HELP HELP PLEASE!!!
She fell asleep for the afternoon nap at 2.30 after a 2.5 A time, and woke up screaming after 50 minutes ... it took 40 minutes to get her back to sleep. She was inconsolable and cried like I never heard before. It was like someone was beating her!
I tried the usual ways (shh-pat, hands on her chest, my voice, pick her a put for a moment then put her down) but nothing worked. In the end I let her fall asleep in my arms... I know this is a big mistake but I really didn't know what to do.
In the last days after a few minutes of trying I just cut off the nap but she was sooo tired afterwards...
What can I do???
This morning I put her down after 3hr A but she was not ready and got very upset. She finally fell asleep after 30 minutes and I woke her up at noon, after 1hr, but this doesn't seem to have helped her to have a longer pm nap.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 14:32:21 pm by Duby »

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 14:43:08 pm »

Our paediatrician doesn't want me to administer any medication for teething, she just told me to patient  Smiley

Why not?  If baby is in pain, it's not very nice to withhold meds.  I would ask the paed how she would like to get some teeth and not be allowed pain relief.

I think you might be in that horrible phase that we are also stuck in right now... they are starting to move to 1 nap, but still very much need to have two good naps to sleep well at night - the downside, you get shorter nights and longer days with a bit of extra day sleep...   I have tried capping AM, capping PM, capping both and all it did was get me an OT baby who would wake during the night upset.  I have succumbed to the fact that for the next couple of months, until she can do one nap days, we are stuck with decent naps at the expense of shorter nights that are undisturbed.  Right now, DD sleeps 1.5 hrs in the AM and up to 2 hrs in the PM, then generally 745pm-6am.