Author Topic: Solids were going well now going all wrong!  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Zoerippingale

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Solids were going well now going all wrong!
« on: August 10, 2011, 21:39:03 pm »
My baby is now 23 weeks and i started I introducing purees and baby rice at 18 weeks at first once and day and then after 2 weeks twice a day. However for the past three days he either screams when eating, shoves both hands in his mouth or takes the solids thenthrows up. I bf him first then offer solids 1 hour after bm. Help please! I feel like I am going backwards! :(

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Solids were going well now going all wrong!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 14:53:57 pm »
Any particular reason why you started solids when you did?

Most babies do better when solids are started at around 6mo, and that is what is generally recommended.

If baby is gaining weight as expected and producing plenty of wet / dirty nappies and is satisfied after feeds, then you really don't need to give solids just yet. Their digestive systems are still maturing and your LO may be telling you by pushing solids away and throwing up that he's just not ready yet!

It's also worth checking if he has any allergic / intolerance reactions to any foods (rash, mucus / blood in nappy, vomiting, constant stuffy nose, eczema or reflux flare-up) by introducing them one at a time for three days before trying another new food. Don't give mixtures or you won't know what the culprit was if he has a bad reaction!

Babies need mainly milk (BF or formula) as their main food until 1 year old, and under 9mo milk should be given in preference to solids. You have plenty of time to introduce solids  :)