Author Topic: 6mo LO rejecting spoon help!!  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Zefyra

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6mo LO rejecting spoon help!!
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:02:10 am »
hey, so I started DD on solids just passed 5.5months for the week or two she was enjoying any purees.  Then I went to a weaning group (big mistake!), the HV's were adamant about BLW and not giving purees. SO off I went home to give baby a stick of cheese and a breadstick, and then LO started rejecting the spoon after realising she can feed herself. BIG MISTAKE!!!

She won't take a spoon off me, but, when I went to stay at my mum's last week, she would take a spoon from her for a little while (not every mealtime-sometimes I time it wrong and DD is too tired)..
what am I doing wrong? Normally she sits in her highchair so today I put her on my lap to watch me eat porridge and banana which she was watching carefully, and as soon as I tried to feed her a bit she shook her head and pursed her lips...

I'm off to the US next week and want to get back on track soon!!!

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: 6mo LO rejecting spoon help!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:14:30 am »
Don't you want to follow BLW? Up to 12 months milk is the main nutrition a baby needs so solidas are extra. MY dd was BLW, she was independant from the start and wanted to do everything for herself, I do believe it is why she is not a fussy eater and maybe even why she has always been sure of being able to do things for herself  :)

I hope someone has some spoon tips for you  ;)
Katt

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:00 am »
I also felt the same in terms of milk being the main source of nutrition (I guess peer and mother-pressure/advice has kicked in too much). I'm adamant to feed LO solids after bf, but have been unsure if I'm doing it right-as LO doesn't always want solids then...arrrgh!!

I was worried about my supply going down too if I feed her solids first...

maybe i should have stuck to my initial instinct..!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:46:15 am »
We did not use BLW, used a spoon & purees, along with self-feeding (as he got older),  and my DS is not a picky eater....what if you give her a spoon along with her own bowl too? can be messy but gives the lo a bit of control too. My DS could use his own utensils pretty early!   So what if she uses her fingers to eat the purée too! I wouldnt worry too much though like skatty says since milk shd be her main source of nutrition.
heather

Offline Zefyra

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 23:03:33 pm »
i think i was a bit wrong..oops.

i dont think it was rejection now, just that she knew she was being fed a simple pureed veg, and now i know she hates it! today i made her a proper meal out of annabel k's book and she lapped it up...so i guess i just need to give her variety... clever babies!!!

youre right about the utensils, she loves holding a spoon now and again...

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:00:25 am »
That's great!
heather