Author Topic: 6.5 month old BLW - Water & Teeth Questions  (Read 1143 times)

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
6.5 month old BLW - Water & Teeth Questions
« on: August 21, 2011, 20:11:18 pm »
Hi there, As mentioned by lo is 6.5 months old and BLW, which he is loving. Couple of questions if that's okay?

I can't seem to get any water in him. I've tried 3 different cups but to no avail. I read another post where the advice seemed to be just keep trying so I shall but is it okay if he is weaning that he isn't taking much water in. Or should I give him some water via a bottle? I'm exclusively bf I forgot to mention.

Also, with cooled boiled water, how do you store this? I read that it can be kept for 12 hours is that right? Do you keep it in the fridge and allow it to get to room temperature before you give this?

Finally (I promise!), my lo has 6 teeth. How do you clean these, is it with cooled boiled water or tap water? Should you use toothpaste?

Thanks again

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: 6.5 month old BLW - Water & Teeth Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 20:26:42 pm »
I'd just keep trying with a cup and remember that especially if you breastfeed, sips are fine.   

Also no need to boil water if you're in a country with decent water standards.  Normal tap water is fine.

I always cleaned with tap water and a very, very small smear (hardly anything) of normal toothpaste as my health visitor advised me to.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 6.5 month old BLW - Water & Teeth Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:12:19 am »
Handy to check if water in your area is fluoride-free or added.  My health visitor told me to use adult toothpaste not kid's as there is no fluoride in the water in my area.  As lemothyme said it is a tiny tiny smear to begin with.  I just hand the toothbrush to DS and he happily shoves it in his mouth and has a good wiggle around with it and bites on it.  He loves his toothbrush, I think it is fun to do something mummy does and also massages sore gums.  After he's had a turn I tell him it's my turn and do a little because obviously he won't be doing it adequately so I feel the need to set up a habit where he is comfortable for me to do it for him too.

I also read recently that a piece of cheese at the end of a meal helps to take care of teeth as it neutralizes the acid in the food so I've started offering a small piece as the last item of most meals.

I offer water in a bottle during meals as well as the cup as sometimes he swallows a piece a bit too big and needs to help it down with a drink but it would be different with you breast feeding.