Author Topic: do you have a cheats recipe for home made ravioli/torteloni type pasta?  (Read 8892 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
OK, I don't have a pasta machine thingy but I'm wondering if anyone knows a cheats way I can make stuffed pasta for my LO (7.5 months, a self feeder)?

I don't really get a lot of processed pre-pack food but a couple of times now I have bought the 'fresh' pasta from the supermarket (UK Asda) like tomato and mozerela torteloni or chicken and mushroom ravioli (something like that).  Having checked the ingredients I decided to offer to DS so long as he didn't eat more than a third the pack (which would be safe salt wise for an under 1 as long as I regulate salt in other foods that day).
Thing is he LOVES it.  He eats truck loads of everything I offer him but you know when you can just tell they are really enjoying something?

So - is it possible for me to make my own salt and other bady free version when I don't know how to make pasta?
Could I for example use lasagna sheets or cannelloni tubes and soak them or something and then stuff, fold, seal and cut out?

Alternatively is there a fools way of making pasta from scratch and do I really really need to get a machine to roll it?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: do you have a cheats recipe for home made ravioli/torteloni type pasta?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:07 am »
Bumping this for you

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline darcys mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:35:04 am »
You can use wonton wrappers or gow chee wrappers, just lay them out brush the edges with a little water, pop your filling on and fold them over or for a bigger one put another wrapper on top, make sure you press all the air out from around your filling or they will explode, they only take a few minutes in boiling water to cook :)
Fresh pasta is easy to make, but you really do need a machine to roll it thin enough....

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 17:39:57 pm »
Thank you Darcy's mum!  Having trawled the internet for ideas (since starting this thread) I did find the wanton skins idea which sounds great, except that there's salt in the skins which is a shame.  I could still do it and make salt free filling which is something, just a pity the only way to get the whole thing salt free is to make my own pasta.  Just don't think I'd find the time on top of all the other cooking.

BUT - again thank you.  I think I might give it a go one day when I manage to get to the chinese shop for the wanton skins :)

ps. thanks for the bump Rachel

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 20:53:05 pm »
What about rice paper? I used to use that instead of lasagne for my (formerly!) GF little boy
Jenny - mama to

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 21:44:40 pm »
100g flour (I use semolina/pasta flour mix 1/3:2/3 - but do have a pasta machine) to one egg ratio. Mix until smooth/knead then where I would run it through my machine, you would roll it out witha rolling pin... probably about 50-100 times to get it to about the thickness of a lasagna sheet. Then fill.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 23:07:03 pm »
have you considered buying a pasta machine? If you work out how much cheaper making your own would be, specially given that you can choose what ingredients to use, it might be a worthwhile investment.

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 23:46:32 pm »
have you considered buying a pasta machine?
Yes I'd like to.  Just don't see how I can find the time at the moment.  The 'fresh' pasta with fillings are almost the only thing I feed DS that I don't make myself (I do use things like canned salt free lentils and black eyed beans to save on the soaking/cooking time of those types of things too but I consider those as healthy ingredients) and I'm spending every spare minute baking and cooking healthy meals, which is great and I enjoy it, but it's all very time consuming.  It's definitely something I'm going to work towards though.  I love the idea of fresh home made pasta.

Offline sweetpea25

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 13:24:37 pm »
I agree with IzzyD's mom a pasta machine is indeed a great investment. I also tried Katet's recipe and it worked wonders. Such great ideas, I sure will love this forum.
This is how life should be!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 06:28:14 am »
I have a pasta machine but have never had the time (or perhaps the inclination) to use it!  How long does it all take from start - finish?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/