Author Topic: 3 month old feeding issues  (Read 4735 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3 month old feeding issues
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 16:23:18 pm »
From my experience with my two these type of feeding issues are reflux related. Taking better feeds when half asleep is typical reflux behaviour as is taking a very small feed for weight/ age and then refusing more.

I understand your reluctance to try different meds but I think it would be worth a trial. A PPI like prilosec isn't really a stronger drug as such but it works in a different way to ranitidine which is why it is generally more effective. I would give it a trial for a few weeks, if it makes a difference then great, if not you know it's not the reflux but you won't have done him any harm by trying.

Laura

Offline gabrielsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 16:29:06 pm »
Thanks Laura.  It is Prilosec that my doctor wants to start.  I talked to someone last week that said it worked wonderful for their daughter after having no luck with Zantac.  He will be on Zantac 2 weeks this Friday.  He goes for his 4 month visit on the 28th.  Should I switch now or wait until he has his 4 month check-up?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 17:04:38 pm »
If you can switch now I would do it, it gives you about 2 weeks until his 4 months check to see if it is helping then. Ask your Dr about continuing the zantac for a week or so when you start the prilosec too, then when the PPI is in his system you should be able to drop the zantac. If you do give both make sure there is at least 4 hours between the two drugs.

Laura

Offline gabrielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 17:33:28 pm »
Sounds good.  Thanks!

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
Thanks for the advice. For the past couple of days, we've been trying a 4 hour EASY. The problem is he's not up to the needed A time and we're dealing with the dreaded 45 min naps. I'm jiggering it around a bit and he is eating better. He's still not hungry in the morning (which also throws a wrench into the 4 hour EASY). We tried a couple nights w/o the DF and he woke up around 12ish for a feed. With the DF he wakes around 2/3. Lately he's also been waking at 4/5ish. I try not to feed him then, but sometime I give him an oz or two so he'll go back to sleep. At his NF, he's taking about 4-5 oz. SHould I try to reduce it to see if he's hungry in the am? I'm wary of not feeding him when he's hungry.
Thanks!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 17:41:18 pm »
I didn't reduce night feed amounts until DD was sleeping through until 4 or 5am consistently. I never did a DF with her and she had her last bottle at 645pm... so she was going a long time already between feeds :)  She was 4.5 months when I night weaned her...

I survived the 45 min nap monster too... it was rough!  I just did my best to keep her feeds close to 4 hrs apart... if it was going to be time to eat during a nap, I would move the feed to just before her nap to avoid a wake caused by hunger - on the hope that she was actually gonna sleep longer than 45 mins ;)  She rarely did, but at least I knew should would have a good nap with a full tummy.

Offline gabrielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 17:52:46 pm »
Kara, what time did your daughter wake in the mornings after you weaned the night feed?  Did she go 12hrs without eating?  My son has his bottle between 7-8pm (try to keep him up until 8pm) and has started occasionally only waking once night at 2-3am.  He usually is awake by 7am for the day. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 17:57:17 pm »
BAHAHAH!  NO!  My kid rarely sleeps more than 10 hours, even now at 10 months ;) She has low sleep needs... but, that said, you will only find a handful of babies who do sleep 12 hours on BW ;)