Author Topic: I need help figuring out how this works!  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Re: I need help figuring out how this works!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 14:22:43 pm »
Her probiotic is Biogaia and as far as I can tell, it's safe.

Her poos are like big yellow puddles of mucous. There isn't any visible blood but it has never been tested.

The skin thing might just be a bit of baby acne. I will keep an eye on it. It definitely isn't bad at this point anyways.

Sometimes she gets really congested but I cannot figure out what is causing that.

I don't drink any "milk". I have used occasional coconut milk in cooking but that's it.

If you can't eat rice, what do you eat? Honestly this is getting ridiculous. (me venting my frustrations :( )The sals thing too, like I honestly have nothing to eat as it is, how can I cut more out? I feel completely overwhelmed because I have no time to research anything. I am just eating super plain basic foods and hoping for a change but getting nothing.

The reflux thing I'm not sure. I would say so. I have emailed the paed about this.

She basically eats, is okay for a bit. Plays around. Loves her tummy, starts getting sleepy, fusses a bit, I pick her up to bundle her for bed. She falls asleep within a few minutes and then the fun begins. 10 minutes later she's gruting and groaning and struggling. So I pick her up and try to get a burp put of her or something and she squirms and pushes and then screams, the. She burps and falls asleep immediately. Then ten minutes later, it all starts again. Finally after about two hours of that, she's such an OT mess tht she just screams at the top of her lungs and I don't know if she's in pain or just plain OT anymore. The thing is, sometimes she's fine. Sometimes she naps like a pro with no problems and I can't figure out what is making a good day or bad day :(

Im so frustrated and ready to switch to formula but I doubt it would help anything. Blah.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 14:54:32 pm »
{{{hugs Jenn}}}}

I am so sory you are frustrated.  I would absolutely be tearing my hair out at this stage if I were you.  I couldn't even give dairy free a proper go so I admire you so much for what you are doing. 

I wonder if reflux is at the heart of this?   I just think you would have seen some progress with the ED you're doing so far if the discomfort is related purely to intolerance? 

10 minutes later she's gruting and groaning and struggling. So I pick her up and try to get a burp put of her or something and she squirms and pushes and then screams, the. She burps and falls asleep immediately. Then ten minutes later, it all starts again.
This was absolutely what R was like.  Out for the count and then I'd hear her grunting and then she'd wake howling and then fart and then pass out sleeping again.  It was as if some of the milk started digesting in there and released more air and caused wind pains.  No amount of burping before hand helped.  What did help a bit was time.  At she got a bit bigger and could move a bit she could pass wind in her sleep or wake up pass wind and resettle without my help.   Sleeping at an incline helped too as it seemed to relieve the pressure on her tummy.

It does sound like a bit of OT here too. R slept much better on us or in carseat at this age so generally one nap was APed through the day to keep the OT at bay.  Will she sleep in a sling?

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 15:14:38 pm »
Oh yes, she spends most of her day in the sling now. Daytime I can easily handle. It's nights time that's killing me.

Exactly what you said is how I feel! Nothing I do beforehand helps. It just needs to start digesting. So frustrating!

Since shes a preemie, it's almost certain for her to have reflux so the paed says but her symptoms didn't seem refluxy so that's why we aren't on any meds. I emailed the paed to say I'd like to do a me trial so we will see what she says.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 15:24:37 pm »
So many hugs Jenn. It also sounds like silent reflux is a culprit here to me. xoxo
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 15:25:15 pm »
{{{{hugs Jenn}}}}

How long did the paed want you to try the ED for?  It just seems like you should have seen some progress by now?  KWIM?  

In a way I'm hoping reflux meds really help her so you don't have to do such a strict diet.  hard when you are trying to decide whether or not reflux or food intolerance would be the better cause isn't it?

R got much better at 4-5 months but am sure that feels like a lifetime away.  I keep dairy to a minimum but still had it in my diet.  In those early months I kept her a lot of the time in bed with me.  Not for everyone I know but DH is pure useless at doing NWs so they tend to fall to me and i needed some rest.  

Hope the paed gets back to you really soon xx

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 15:30:14 pm »
She left it totally up to me :-\ Basically she said if you can handle her being fussy, then eat whatever you want, if not, try the ED. But it feels so cruel for me to say since I want to eat food, you have to be in pain :-\

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 15:31:41 pm »
Was she worse when you were eating the foods? 

Do you feel its pain or discomfort?

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 16:34:13 pm »
She is exactly the same as when I was eating the foods. She is definitely in pain and discomfort. I'm hesitant to start eating the foods again simply because I don't know what else to do and it maybe sort of feels like I am at least trying something IYSWIM? I don't know :'( I hate that she's going through this.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 16:45:38 pm »
I'd DEFINITELY push for a trial of reflux meds. Have you gotten any advice from the ladies on the board there? It really sounds like reflux pain to me (which is often mistaken for gas).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 17:14:26 pm »
I'm definitely going to do that! Thanks Karen.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 18:44:29 pm »
I couldnt carry on with ED because all that i could of eaten was meat swede cabbage potato and pear and that was it so i had to go onto neocate

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 18:53:37 pm »
Oh okay! Good grief, I was seriously wondering how it would have been possible!

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 19:23:27 pm »
I would absolutely check into doing some reflux meds.  It took us 3 mos to find a drug combo that worked for us.  Especially since she's a preemie, I bet her system just isn't mature enough.  The ED is probably helping, but you may not need to be as extreme as you are (especially since you're not seeing drastic improvements)
Michelle

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 19:33:48 pm »
I'm thinking reflux meds would help.

Even though i didn't cut all dairy I did see a big difference in R when I cut out cheese/yogurt/glasses of milk (i LOVE dairy) but still had milk in tea and chocolate and hidden dairy in some things.    So if it were just intolerance I do think you would have found a difference by now, even if symptoms were not away you should have seen some short of improvement. 

{{{hugs}}}
The ED is probably helping, but you may not need to be as extreme as you are (especially since you're not seeing drastic improvements)
This is what I'm thinking. 

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 01:46:18 am »
I phoned the paed and apparently she is swamped and will try and get back to me by the end of the week :-\