Author Topic: I need help figuring out how this works!  (Read 8863 times)

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
Re: I need help figuring out how this works!
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 07:25:00 am »
jenn...for your health and sanity, I would be starting to consider that the ED is not the answer.....big hugs for the nighttime. Our nights are pants too (maybe i should be thinking about something other than hunger????)
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 07:50:46 am »
{{{{hugs Jenn}}}}

Have been thinking of you and trying to decide what I would do. My gut feeling is I would scrap the ED.  Especially seeing as the paed has said it is upto you and most importantly because you haven't seen any improvement.  I noticed improvement in a few days of cutting back on dairy so I do think you should have seen some improvement by now. 

Sorry thats probably not much help xx

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 19:05:22 pm »
No I think you guys are right. I have never really believed this is a food intolerance. I did it hoping it would help but never being really sure that's what it was. I'm going to ease back into eating some things and see what happens. Still waiting to hear from the paed. I slept sitting up last night from 10-2:30 and then she slept in her bed after that feed, so not terrible. Getting her to nap this morning was a challenge as she was so uncomfy.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 19:13:06 pm »
HUGS Jenn. I agree with PP - I'd ease off on the ED and instead push (hard and as quickly as possible) for a GOOD dose of reflux meds. Hope you and she can get some comfort and sleep soon. Thinking of you...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 19:45:44 pm »
Ok I just heard back from the paed. She has faxed a prescription for a reflux med to the pharmacy here. I'm not sure which med yet but I will go pick it up when Ethan wakes from his nap. She also told me she thinks Emily is still suffering from what I am eating but thinks it's ridiculous to tale anything else out of my diet. She said if we can get Emily more comfy on these meds then great but if she still is having problems I will most likely need to switch to HAF :-\ She also wants me to start giving her a stool softener type thing to help take some gas pains away.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 23:41:07 pm »
So it's Prevavid and 6mg twice a day. Sound good?

Probably shouldn't be on allergies thread anymore :-\

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 23:46:37 pm »
here's to hoping meds do help.  Unfortunately, it can take 2 weeks for them to really take affect.  We had to change our meds and our doses several times before we got things sorted.  So don't be afraid to keep pushing if you're not seeing improvement.

We slept with Katie on our chests almost every night for the first 2.5 mos.  And naps were always in the wrap on me.  But once we got meds sorted and dairy out of my system, she did much, much better.  Hang in there!!

super glad she started you on prevacid!!  I know loads of mums who had much better luck with the ppi (like prevacid), so that's a great place to start.  Sounds like a good dose as well.  We started on 7.5 mg 1x a day, and moved to 7.5 mg 2x a day, but Katie is much bigger, so 6 mg 2x a day sounds like a good place to start.  I really do hope it works for you!!!
Michelle

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 00:12:45 am »
Coming in late but I'm so glad you got reflux meds.  I've totally BTDT, I swear I could have written some of your posts!  Although I did see some improvement when I dropped things from my diet.  All that's done, though, is to make me more nervous to bring them back even though I'm not sure if it was coincidental or not!  Anyhow, I think your nights sound very, very refluxy.  Don't be surprised if the PPI takes a bit to work, but I hope it will.  You could try some simethicone for the gas, too, although that never helped us too much.  I wouldn't even think about the HAF for a while until you give treating reflux a fair trial.  :-*
*Kate*

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:15 am »
Great to hear that she started us on a good med! I am completely clueless about everything reflux so disn't really know what to ask for. Thankfully the paed totally thought it was reflux too.

Thanks for the tips that it might take some time to work. I have been giving her simethicone for gas but it rarely does anything ::)

Why does it seem like every baby has reflux these days ???  :-\

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:36 am »
ITA that it sounds like a good dose and good that she started her on Prevacid instead of Zantac/Pepcid. As others have said, give it time to work. Our doc had OK'd us to use Mylanta Cherry Supreme (half teaspoon 2 times a day) if needed in the meantime but it had to be spaced out at least two hours from the PPI. It did help for us.

As for why so many kids have reflux these days, I've heard so many different theories - from that we are now realizing what we used to say was colic is often reflux, environmental factors, factors like growth hormones in meat and milk we ingest when pregnant (same with pesticides), etc. So hard to say.

HUGS
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 19:02:23 pm »
I wouldnt assume theres no food issues I would bring in food slowly just to be safe...

The reason reflux is diagnosed more now like PP said is realization, my first daughter screamed 24 hours aday when i took her to the drs i was told i was over feeding my newborn baby (breast fed) and also under feeding her (in the same sentence) and it was wind and colic lol

It wasnt untill she was projectile vomiting, a friend told me it was reflux that the dr accepted it was reflux, With my second daughter i told the hv she had reflux (me and my husband have reflux and i investigated the family link so when she began posseting largly after each meal i knew iykwim) she said no its just posseting till she saw the amount then she said "yes thats reflux" so i phoned the gp got a thickner no questions asked

With alyssa its the first time (5 years after my first) ive been taken seriously or felt taken seriously with the reflux, we were refered to a peadiatrition etc so ive really seen the difference in attitude, although at 1 day old i was ignored by mws etc when i was telling them she had reflux (she was already throwing up every meal to the extent the mws laid her on her side to stop her getting it in her face again) so its not quite there but getting there

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 02:36:42 am »
Okay so now I'm totally confused. Or maybe just disappointed. I don't know.

Yesterday and today I have eaten a couple things that weren't on my diet. Just gradually having something but mostly staying on the diet. No change in her tummy/reflux issues. Then tonight she had her first poop in three (?) days and it was the first "normal" newborn poop she has ever had :-\ So that makes me think the diet was doing something. So now I don't know what to do. I'm obviously not keen on going back to such a strict diet (especially after having a few bites of yummy things!) but I will do it if I have too. Should I keep trying to add something back (for my own sake) or completely keep it as it was ???

Oh, we are on day two of reflux meds if that makes a difference.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:24 am »
Well the meds "could" be already starting to help and leading to less acid, which would make for more normal BMs. Yes it "can" and often does take up to two weeks but for some people they start working much faster. I'd probably continue on as you are with the diet for now (not increasing adding back in but staying with what you did) and see what happens over the next two week and then maybe you can slowly add more things back in.

((((HUGS))))

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 11:20:39 am »
Ok! Thanks Karen! I didn't have to sit up with her at all last night so maybe they are working!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:34 pm »
I'd wait for a bit too.  Then do a really gradual introduction of things.  With the dairy we did butter for a few days then moved onto something else IYKWIM?

Really hope the meds make a difference xx