Author Topic: Only one symptom?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Only one symptom?
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:13:42 am »
I'm getting really discouraged while figuring out what is going on with DS2's food sensitivities.  I've been dairy/soy free for close to 2 months now, and his reflux symptoms (silent reflux) cleared up within days, so now we're down to one last, persistant symptom--the mucous in the poop.  Because it got to the point that it was pretty much every diaper, and quite a bit at times, I finally went on a pretty strict ED 12 days ago (basically the RPAH diet, only I hadn't heard of that one before)--cut out all allergenic foods, moderate to high SALs, and by elimination, MSG and most amines.  I am still eating chicken that has amines in it.

So my question is, if mucous is the only symptom, does that lean towards this probably being one thing or another?  I saw something about classic symptoms for SALs sensitivity and it included a lot of things we don't have any issues with.  I suppose NW could be a symptom, but he's never STTN so that's not new, and he does fairly well (by my babies standards) with only 1 to 2 NW per night (we don't DF). 

I'm just trying to figure out where to go next with this whole thing if our symptoms don't start improving soon.  I'm going to give this a few more days, but then I don't know if I need to crack down on the amines and possibly external exposure (lotions, shampoo, etc. . .), or if I should switch  to no carbs and sugars (GAPS diet)--I'm only having rice and potatoes now, and a little maple syrup the last 3 days.  Or if I just give up and start adding the allergens back in slowly to make sure that they don't make anything worse (but I haven't seen improvement yet.)

Henry is really a pretty happy baby, sleeps pretty well (room for improvement, but he's so much better than my other babies that it feels pretty easy), no rashes except occasionally a mild diaper one in the a.m. that usually goes away throughout the day--I think just from being in his night diaper for too long.

We also don't really have any family history that would lean towards any sort of chemical imbalance, at least with DH or I.  My other 2 were both MSPI, but that was it.  ALthough I do wonder if DD would benefit from some change because she's always been very spirited and emotional, but she doesn't have any other symptoms that make it obvious its a dietary thing. 

I'm just at a loss and really getting sick of rice.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Only one symptom?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 16:14:25 pm »
Hi, great news that you saw some improvement after taking dairy and soy out. We never had mucous so I don't know much about it but I think it is one of the last things to go as the gut takes a while to heal. I hope it starts to improve for you soon.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Only one symptom?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 18:15:12 pm »
Mucous takes a while to get out the system.  If they have a cold they can also get mucous. 

EDs are really tough -I am dairy/soya free and it is hard (esp when I love chocolate and cheese), so well done for managing so many other things too.  I think the getting started is the hardest part.

IMO if he is happy and not having other symptoms I would leave things as they are for a bit and see how things go (maybe the mucous will clear?)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!