Author Topic: Investigating IgG testing in the UK  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Grants

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Mr 'I know exactly what I want!'
Investigating IgG testing in the UK
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:03:24 am »
Hi ladies,

We are in the early stages of investigating about the IgG allergy test.

I was wondering if any of you who live in the UK have done the test or know a professional who specializes in this field? What kind of professionals might work with this test? I have heard that some Naturopaths do but not all of them. Any other professionals who might be qualified to work with IgG?

TIA
 :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Investigating IgG testing in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 16:14:43 pm »
Bumping for you x

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 18:12:12 pm »
Have you been referred to a paed?I know that Murray was going to get tested for various things if we felt it was necessary (we decided not to as it was more intolerences so no-one was that keen).

We got our doctor to refer us to the paed who then discussed carrying out an elimination diet (dairy) and possible allergy tests.  The paed then referred us to the dietician who helped with the e.d.

Sorry don't know anything about this test.  If it is intolerences, rather than allergies you could try food sensitivity testing - I know the research does not show they work etc but 3 of us in my family have had it done and it seemed accurate.  Not sure the minumum age limit and, of course, you may need advice if you are cutting out food groups (but I would guess you are already cutting out suspected foods ....)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Grants

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:43:09 am »
Thansk for bumping Buntybear ;)

Thank you so much for replying Lucy :)

Sorry don't know anything about this test.  If it is intolerences, rather than allergies you could try food sensitivity testing - I know the research does not show they work etc but 3 of us in my family have had it done and it seemed accurate.  Not sure the minumum age limit and, of course, you may need advice if you are cutting out food groups (but I would guess you are already cutting out suspected foods ....)

Which food sensitivity tests in particular you are talking about? How can I get it done in the UK? Is it via GP referral?

I'm not cutting anything yet. I have done a dairy ED in the past, for 4 weeks. I didn't see any difference. It is hard to know what to cut as DS doesn't show any signs during the day. He can eat anything and be happy all day long. But he has NWs and EWs. I'm note even sure if its food intolerances . But I'm trying everything as we can't take this lack of sleep anymore. It's been 2 years. I'm also going to try to push for a sleep study if its possible.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:03:44 am »
Health food shops often offer food sensitivity testing - you hold a probe against your thumb and they measure the reaction against certain foods - not sure of the science behind them etc and the research doesn't show how it works (but I think it does!).  I think he would be too young though .... GP's can only refer to paed, etc who can then do the skin prick tests etc but I don't think they would test if your LO doesn't show any outward signs.

In my experience with food intolerences my boys either got mucousy etc with dairy, burnt bottom with various foods, etc .... I would also imagine that foods that make him hyperactive etc would also show during the day.

What makes you think it is food-related? Often mother's instinct is right (I thought M had wheat intolerence as it seemed to be when he ate bread etc but cutting out all wheat didn't help - turns out it was the soya in the bread!!).  If it is *only* sleep maybe it is something else? I assume you have posted countless times on the sleep boards, etc. ???

Have you tried a Groclock (with the backlight turned off) to help show him what time he should lie in bed, etc etc?  Has he ever sstn? Could it be his mattress/cover or something like that?  How long does he waken for, etc?  Maybe you could post on the sleep board with full details of how he goes to sleep (day and night) etc etc and see if anyone can shed any light? (please can you send me link!). 
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Grants

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:20:18 am »
Thanks Lucy,

I have heard about those tests. I read loads about it a few years ago (before I had DS) as I was looking for alternatives for my own allergies. The science behind those tests is not very good and would no help me at all as my allergies were to pharmaceutical drugs.

What makes you think it is food-related? Often mother's instinct is right (I thought M had wheat intolerence as it seemed to be when he ate bread etc but cutting out all wheat didn't help - turns out it was the soya in the bread!!).  If it is *only* sleep maybe it is something else? I assume you have posted countless times on the sleep boards, etc.

I don’t think its food related at all. He doesn’t show any signs during the day. He is spirited hence very active and energetic, but his behaviour doesn’t cause any concerns. Iykwim?! I also had a food journal for a while to see if I could find a connection but I didn’t find anything????  Two lovely BW mums mentioned food intolerances on my sleep thread. So I’m willing to try anything at this stage as we are all exhausted. 

My mother’s instincts say its OS. He is constantly OS. He finds it very hard to switch off at BT and I reckon that during the night he also gets ’thoughts’ going through his head. He has just started waking up once a night, instead of numerous times, calling me with a scared/distressed cry. So I reckon there is also a bit of anxiety and fear going on atm

Have you tried a Groclock (with the backlight turned off) to help show him what time he should lie in bed, etc etc?  Has he ever sstn? Could it be his mattress/cover or something like that?  How long does he waken for, etc?  Maybe you could post on the sleep board with full details of how he goes to sleep (day and night) etc etc and see if anyone can shed any light? (please can you send me link!).

We have a groclock for around 10 months. The backlight was switch off from day 1. He has STTN every single night from around 5 months ( once we implemented EASY) to 9 months of age. Then teething started at 9 months, the nursery and it was the end of it then :( He STTN every now and again but its hit and miss

The mattress is the same from birth. A very good one. We also have a mattress cover, which we wash regularly.

Please find below the link for my last thread. It is not my first thread on the sleep board :( It is long.  :-[ You don’t need to read it all. I take any help, insight and advice. I'm desperate!   

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=211545.360

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:32:00 am »
Away to read it now  :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 18:08:09 pm »
Grants, "sometimes" overly spirited behavior (like you mentioned with being so active and unable to "turn off") can be a symptom of food intolerances. That, combined with his sleep patterns, makes me quite suspicious on that front for M. I have a good friend whose son has a dairy intolerance. His ONLY symptoms were hyperactivity during the day/restlessness, waking during the night (even at 6 years old before this was diagnosed) and EW.

HUGS
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grants

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 18:19:43 pm »
Thanks Karen, I def dont think that his behaviour during the day is a problem, but his inability to switch off at BT is def an major issue, which I'm sure affects his nights.  I'm just so worried about this intolerance thing as it doesn't seem to be a very known thing in conventional medicine. I'm really dreading it as it doesn't seem that we will get much support from conventional doctors. We don't have much money left atm to go private again and even if we had the mobey I don't even have a recommended holistic doctor to go to :( . These docs don't seem to be very common in the UK :( . I'm just praying that it will all fall into place.