Author Topic: He wants me to thicken the Neocate... update Xanthan Gum.  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
He wants me to thicken the Neocate... update Xanthan Gum.
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:10:20 am »
Yes the pedi GI wants me to thicken the Neocate because Wyatt (who has MSPI) is refluxing it into his nose, ears, eyes, lungs - you name it...

He said Beechnut Rice cereal.  He said Gerber is rumored to be laced with soy proteins and to not use it.

I'm thinking Rice is going to give him terrible gas.  That is something we totally don't need.

Is oatmeal, or barley better?  Or something else entirely?

I was wondering about making my own non-sugar added applesauce (just cooking them down and pureeing), or am I insane?

Please help me... I really don't feel rice is the best choice... but neither is Neocate in your lungs, right?

:(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 00:26:27 am by Zoey »

...its what you do when you get back up.

tigerlilly905

Re: He wants me to thicken the Neocate...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:55:18 am »
Could you try homemade chicken soup stock - made with organic chicken bones?  Use all of the fat ect. that accumulates and put a tich of the broth in his FF?  Don't skim any of the fat. Bone broth is soothing and healing for the intestines.  The extra healthy fats could help keep his food down.

I would stay away from all grains entirely, personally. I feel they would just complicate the issue and cause even worse digestive problems.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 15:00:45 pm »
At his age is his tum going to be able to handle grains of any sort?  What about Simply Thick?  I realize that between that and the Neocate, you are serving liquid gold, but something to consider. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 23:47:19 pm »
Yes Jenn!  I got some Xanthan gum (which is in the simply thick) - its made from corn as is his miraculous formula which he tolerates well.  So I'm making my own thickener with it and some sterile water, yum!  Man I can't wait until that LES matures...

Thanks gals.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:22:57 am »
Glad to hear he's doing better :) Hope the thickening agent works well :-*

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:13:07 am »
When it does, have his chat with mine please.  Sucker is totally non-functional. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: He wants me to thicken the Neocate... update Xanthan Gum
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 00:25:02 am »
The Xanthan gum is working so well.  He actually seems to enjoy drinking his bottle now.

I got the recipe from Reflux Rebels - http://refluxrebels.com/Acid_reflux/Acid_reflux_formula_thickening.html  - at the bottom, though all the info is very good.

I use the magic bullet to make it, and then cover it and let is sit in the fridge for an hour before using it.  I use approx 1.5 teaspoons of the thickener per 4 ounce bottle - using a stage 2 DB nipple.  Perfect.

Hope this helps someone who is looking for a MSPI friendly thickener, without a lot of added junk.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 00:27:05 am by Zoey »

Offline JennŠ

Re: He wants me to thicken the Neocate... update Xanthan Gum.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:31:35 am »
Well done Zoey!!!!!!!  Is it cheaper than the gel?  Curious as some of my folks are thickened and hate the premade and the powder.