Author Topic: Formula worries when BLW  (Read 926 times)

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Formula worries when BLW
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:26:04 am »
Hi, not sure whether to put this here or in the solid food topic but . . .

I'm intending on following Baby Led Weaning when my twins hit 6 months.  I understand that their main source of nutrition should be milk before they are 1, so I figured that even if they "played" at feeding for 2 or 3 months this shouldn't be a problem.

However, as I have posted before they are on four 8/9oz feeds a day.  No NF, no DF (slept through from 3 months).  I have put them on hungry baby milk and have started offering them a small top up before their midday nap (sometimes they don't want it, sometimes they take 2/3oz).

I read on the BLW thread that BF babies are fine as the BM increases in calories as the baby grows but not so with formula.  Therefore, older babies stomachs can be full of formula but not have enough calories to sustain them.

Is this the case?  I would have dearly loved to BF my boys but only managed the 1st week  :'(  Is this going to effect whether I can do BLW?  What have other FF babies done?

Kath

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Formula worries when BLW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 18:15:55 pm »
Hey Kath,

I wouldn't worry just yet... some babies do wonderfully well with BLW right off the start - you could be worrying for something you won't have to deal with it all ;)

Or, they could start to NW to eat again... if this happens, just be sure to give them foods with lots of calories and healthy fats... Avocado is a perfect one to start with - doesn't need to be cooked at all and is packed with good vits and fats and loads of calories :)

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 20:37:38 pm »
Thanks Kara,

avacado . . . good idea.  And you're right I'm worrying before I even start, but thats just me  :)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 20:40:05 pm »
Not to worry Kath, it's the nature of being a mom ;)