Author Topic: Taking such small amounts  (Read 1038 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:48:34 pm »
Since Levi got sick he's been taking less at each bottle, he used to tak around 130mls now it's around 80mls, sometimes only 60mls which isn't enough. So he's picked up an extra night feed with him still only taking around 40mls!!! It's rather annoying.

Will this change once he's fully recovered or is he starting to snack only? I try and push more at the feed but he just pushes the teat around with his tongue. He was doing so well with only one NW for a feed at 3am (after a DF) so now to have this is just annoying as I need my sleep as I'm sick too

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Taking such small amounts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 18:21:12 pm »
Hugs Jo... I would think he will increase his feeds once he is feeling better... I suspect his tummy isn't up to par yet and he just feels queasy if he takes too much at a time... hang in there!

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 18:26:23 pm »
Thanks Kara, after that 40mls he woke again 3 hours later and only took 80mls then 3 hours later only took 50mls, it's worrying me because the dr says he needs at least 100mls per feed :( should I just let him demand feed and then maybe he will take more instead of waking him to feed every three hours?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Taking such small amounts
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 18:30:08 pm »
I would follow his lead right now... he has been quite unwell and knows what he needs... As long as he takes a decent amount over a 24 hour period, I wouldn't worry too much about the size of each feed. 

Why do doctors like to worry an already worried mom even more??  Ugh. 

You will know if he is getting worse instead of better - that mommy instinct is always correct.  Don't forget that!

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:39:09 am »
As long as he has a cough, I wouldn't push more in order to prevent vomiting. And anyway, because you bottlefeed, you don't have the thin foremilk/ fatty hindmilk problem :)