Author Topic: Allergic reactions  (Read 1679 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Allergic reactions
« on: October 05, 2011, 13:30:09 pm »
We tried ds on solids last week which he loved. He hasn't had a reaction in terms of showing discomfort or bad nappies etc, but he does now have a bad rash round his mouth which I have no doubt was caused by the food. My question is whether having a skin reaction means that he is going to go on to have a further reaction (ie tummy troubles) or whether they are totally separate things and we just need to put some sort of barrier on his skin for foods he reacts to.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Allergic reactions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 19:58:41 pm »
Do you know which food it was? Acidic foods like tomatoes can cause contact rash. As you are just starting I would just take that food out for a while.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 20:01:31 pm »
It was a combintion of butternut squash, carrots, apple and prunes - as there is no history of allergies in the family I wasn't worrying about introducing one food at a time (and I had no issues with either of the girls). Is one of those very acidic?  I knew about tomato, but I didn't think that any of the foods we gave him are problematic.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 21:06:06 pm »
Errr, they don't particulary sound acidic  :P the apple maybe? I guess just give those foods again one at a time and see if it was one of those.

Offline mumofalice

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 21:40:11 pm »
I'm not an expert on allergies but just wanted to say that my DD had the same kind of reaction to tomatoes - but bizarrely only a couple of times. We did BLW and she used to love cherry tomatoes and to start with never had a reaction - then one day she did - red rash around her mouth. We laid off them for a while and she was fine but it did happen again on a couple of occasions - no particular pattern, completely random. Not sure if some 'batches' are more acidic than others? Hasn't happened for a while tho . . . not sure if that's of any help TBH just sticking my two-penneth in!  ;)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 00:46:21 am »
I would think if it is just the acidity the apples are the most likely culprit, but not sure!  I would def. serve those all separately to see what (if anything) happens.  I don't think it means he will have a further reaction for sure, but it is possible.  My kids get the rash from tomatoes, and Spencer gets it from cinnamon.
Heidi