Author Topic: Help with what foods to introduce  (Read 8734 times)

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
Just want to say this forum is amazing!! I am new here!

Brief background. Katerina is 17 months old. She is allergic to dairy, soya, wheat, and egg. She has been on a very strict diet for the past 3 months and daily probiotics and antihistamines to help her recover as we was so unwell. She is now finally doing better and I was thinking of introducing a few things to offer her some variety in her food. I only want to introduce things that have a very low risk though and I am not sure of what to try!

She currently eats: beef, chicken, carrots, courgettes, peas, wheat-free past, brown rice, oats and bananas. I think she is ok with strawberries but its been a while since she has tried thema nd we tried tomateos last week and she seemed ok. Will try again this week. She is on Nutramigen for milk. I will try the oatly range this week. I am hoping she does ok with it as she is having oats daily. Then I can cook some white sauce at least and maybe make some pancekes with brown rice flour and egg replacer. I will also make her yogurt from oat milk.

Any other ideas of what I can try next? I am tired of cooking the same things every day and I want her to get used to eating more things. This is so confusing!  ???

Thank you for reading!  :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Help with what foods to introduce
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 17:38:09 pm »
Hi Happyface, glad you are finding it so useful! Sorry you have to deal with so many issues. Are they actual allergies (fast or slow?) or intolerances? Is there any intolerance to sals etc?

It is very hard to know what to add when they are so sensitive. I have the same problems. I did ask our allergist a few weeks ago how likely it was Olly had more allergies but he said he couldn't say. There is still a mystery around it. So it is a matter of biting the bullet and trying other foods and keeping the anti histamine handy or keeping them off them until they are older.

Are you in the UK?

You could try any meats. How about fish? Salmon for the good oils.
Carbs/starches - GF bread with DF marg? potatoes? squash, sw potato, parsnip - as a mash or roasted finger foods. Quinoa or millet.
Avacado is a great food for dairy free LOs. There is loads of fruit to try. Strawberries can cause reactions in some LOs. Pear is is good one to start with.

HTH

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 18:52:51 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply. Doctor says its slow allergies. Apart from the egg. The egg she reacted within 5 min and it wasn't fun :(. She is allergic to white fish, haven't tried salmon.

Not sure what a sals intolerance is? You are right I will try a few veggies and hopefully she will be ok with those!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 21:05:19 pm »
OK, if they slow allergies then def give at least 3 days between new foods and watch carefully for reactions. Good Luck x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 21:07:07 pm »
Sals are salicylates and there are a few LOS here that suffer. Here is some more info.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0