Author Topic: Neocate issues  (Read 2903 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: October 20, 2011, 19:58:12 pm »
on the tin it says not warm up in the middle of a feed with Neocate, well thats a HUGE issue here because Levi seems really touchy when it comes to his bottle, as soon as it starts to cool down he wont eat. I HAVE to stick it in a jug of hot water to get it warm again for him to eat it. also as soon as he fills his pants he wont eat until its changed. ive tried pushing through but he just will refuse the bottle until its either warm or his nappy is changed.

does anyone know the reason why you cant keep the bottle warm through a feed? I understand not reheating a bottle and I wouldnt do that anyway but if its only been 10mins why cant i pop it in some boiling water to warm it up again as its gone cold? and if i have to be very vigilant about not doing it then he just wont eat and what am I supposed to do then?

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Neocate issues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 20:01:52 pm »
what about making up one half bottle then another just after?
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 20:13:09 pm »
I dont have enough bottles to do that, i would be constantly washing and sterilising all day, I alreeady do that twice a day as it is, but it is a good idea

Offline buttonbaby

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 20:14:32 pm »
Jo…Ds was on necoate for a months and I remember worrying about that same thing when reading it as ds would only drink very warm bottles…at the time he drank so little …a struggle to get over 10 oz daily I continued just heating once after his first break from the bottle…as I didn’t want to risk doing anything thast might cause his intake to drop further…didn’t have any problems but of course that doesn’t cover why it shouldn’t be done.
I think firsttimemummies suggestion is good…it was hard for us to do this as Ds was in hospital at the time and the kitchen we couldn’t have hot open containers on the ward and the kitchen was far away plus only the nurses were supposed to go to the kitchen and they were very busy but we could unofficially go in for a few seconds so just used the microwave as didn’t have time to boil kettle wait in kitchen etc while ds lay waiting in cot in ward!

Am lsitening in to hear why...though I should have found out when ds was on neocate :(
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 21:56:51 pm »
I've just had a look at the neocate web site and they have this statement about re-heating

•Formula must not be re-warmed during feeding as excessive heating can cause nutrient loss and affect taste

I'm not sure how excessive heating is defined though.

Laura

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 23:21:31 pm »
well I guess theres more nutrient loss if hes not actually eating it cos its gone cold yeah? gah, why does he have to be so touchy about his food? I mean I understand not wanting to eat it cold but sometimes its only gotten slightly colder, so its still warm but he likes it a little warmer than warm  ::)

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 23:37:52 pm »
Does it mean that it will taste better if allowed to rewarm a couple of times? 
Seriously, what about the things that you put beer bottles in?
http://www.beerkoozies.com/products/neoprene-beer-koozies.html  Would that fit?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 23:48:35 pm »
wow they look awesome!! I wonder if htey ship to NZ?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 23:55:12 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Podee-Give-me-a-hug-Bottle-Insulator-Holder/dp/B000096PTG

DS just switched to neocate last Wed. and I was just peeking on here to see what was up with you guys and this formula.

Hope that is helpful :)

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:47 am »
I don't remember that warning, Jo. I did as you say and kept it in hot water if he needed a short break. And honestly, affecting taste? How could that stuff taste any worse than it already does???!!!!
Jenny - mama to