Author Topic: Nap Help and Nursing to Sleep  (Read 777 times)

Offline abbyfp2324

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 28, 2011, 18:37:13 pm »
I have created a habit of nursing my LO to sleep, even for naps. She sleeps pretty good at night (not STTN yet but USUALLY only gets up 1-2 per night which is fine with me at this point), but naps are a struggle all the time. Nursing is the only way I can get her drowsy enough to go to sleep. She won't take a paci from me (occasionally, or I should say rarely, will take one from dad but WILL NOT from me) and I've tried everything. We swaddle for naps, use white noise, darkened room, etc. She will be wide awake until I comfort nurse her--she will start to close her eyes and I've tried the Pantley Pull Off (from No Cry Sleep Solution) and she will resist over and over until finally she lets me unlatch her and lay her down, and then she sleeps for 5 or so minutes and then is wide awake screaming again. Usually the second time when I go back in I haven't been letting her nurse, I just hold her and shush/bounce her until she stops crying and closes her eyes, then lay her down again and shush/pat her.

I feel like shushing/patting is just as much of a crutch as nursing before sleep. If I don't do it long enough she will wake back up or wake up in between sleep cycles. I should add most of her naps are only 20-45 minutes long so we do this 4-6 times per day. I am watching for tired cues and try to put her down for a nap at the right time, but inevitably she fights it and then is up so long she is overtired. I don't know what to do, I hate letting her cry and I feel like withholding her from comfort nursing is CIO in a way. I want to get to the point where we can just go into her room, wind down for a few minutes, and then she puts herself to sleep WITHOUT nursing, bouncing, etc. How is this ever going to happen? I'm starting to get nervous esp. now that she's 3 months that it will be impossible to break this habit. I don't want to have problems weaning her later on because she's so attached to nursing to sleep.

Also sometimes she literally gets mad while comfort nursing that there's milk coming out..because all she wants to do is suck and I guess she's full (from eating earlier)..so she will pull off and cry and want to latch back on and do it over and over until she settles down. And when I offer a paci instead it makes her even more mad. If I hold her upright and bounce/shush her, she will start to bang her head on my shoulder while crying and sometimes start trying to suck on my shirt sleeve if I won't let her nurse. I've tried the pinky trick also--doesn't work.

Offline yjlzelik

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Nap Help and Nursing to Sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 18:44:31 pm »
I am experiencing a very similar thing.. My LO is 3.5 months. Just this week she started going down better (after about a month of trying my best with BW techniques) but today she totally relapsed to her old habits.

I would try to nurse her until she was falling asleep then stick the paci in her mouth and say shh... sometimes she would notice and get mad so I would do it over again. It was all about timing the switch. i don't know if that is helpful or not but it's all I've got right now.. 3 months is still very little I think.

This sleep training stuff takes ALONG time. As in weeks and weeks but it is much better then CIO.
Although today I have to say I felt kind of like I was letting her CIO because she was crying so hard while I was patting her in her crib.
HUGS :) It will get better!!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 22:42:24 pm »
Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time atm.
From what you've said your LO is clearly not hungry but has learned nursing is how to fall to sleep, now you are teaching her there is another way to fall to sleep so there will be some resistance and frustration on her side, after all she is tired and all she wants is to slope off to dreamland (the way she knows how to, but even that is frustrating her because she is full).  It's understandable there might be frustration for you too because you are also learning a new skill, a different way to help her to sleep.  You will learn it together and you WILL get through it.  Stick it out it is worth it.
Your LO is already showing the ability to go to sleep and transition from one cycle to another without nursing, she does this when you return to her after the 5 min sleep to do shush pat, and she is transitioning at night so you are already on the right road.

I'll try to answer a few of your concerns:

I wouldn't bother with the paci.  If she rarely takes it anyway I don't see much point in encouraging it at this stage.  My LO always refused a paci so I had to find other ways to sooth him, in the long run I'm happy it went that way as I had one less thing to wean later on.

Shush/pat is not the same sort of prop as nursing.  For one thing nursing isn't always working for you now as she is full and yet still trying to feed to sleep.  Shush/pat can be gradually reduced (relatively easily) as she gains independence where as nursing is either on the breast or off the breast, there is really no in between.  Shush/pat can be continued in the cot which I doubt you can manage with nursing.  Shush/pat will still be available after you stop breast feeding and can also be carried out by another care-giver such as DP.  Unless you're planning on breast feeding throughout toddler-hood you really do need to wean the feed to sleep prop.

I know at times it feels awful when your LO is crying and you feel you are withholding her comfort, but you are teaching her, giving her the gift of independent sleep and you are certainly not abandoning her, this is not CIO at all, you are with her, comforting and soothing her throughout the whole process.  Always letting her know that you are there for her.  If you like talk to her a little, tell her you know she is tired but it's ok to be tired because it's nap time and you are going to stay with her until she reaches dreamland (or just tell yourself this, sometimes you need to reassure yourself that this is the right thing).

Sucking on your shirt sleeve might not be such a bad idea in a way.  It's ok for her to have a lovey and for you to introduce one if she doesn't already have one (they usually choose their own but I influenced my LO's lovey attachment by holding it by him through every feed and falling to sleep).  A lovely is something she controls herself (unlike a prop which is controlled by you).  My DS uses a muslin square as his lovey (always in plentiful supply and can easily be washed/replaced) and will hold it, rub it on his face and sometimes suck on it for comfort.  Your LO might like something like this, an old shirt of yours perhaps or a toy with a label (they love labels!).  DS usually find the label on his muslin and gives it some extra attention, he finds it very soothing.

The 5 min nap.  You can try httj (holding through the jolts) as it could well be this that's waking her.  Position yourself so you can hold her quite firmly as she jolts in her sleep (even with the swaddle) and if she wakes shush pat straight away.

When holding and cuddling and shush patting do try to get her down to the mattress before she is asleep but continue to shush pat and sooth her in the cot.  If you stay with her until she is in a deep sleep, it teaches her how to fall to sleep on the mattress which is a very different feeling to being in your arms, when she opens and closes her eyes what she sees will begin to become familiar because she is seeing the room from the right angle.  As time goes on you will be able to reduce your shush pat, honestly you will.  And yes, one day you will take her to bed give her a lovely cuddle lay her down, say goodnight and walk out of the room.  It really does happen.

Can you post your EASY so we can see how your day looks?  It could be that she is perhaps UT at nap time and this could be adding to the difficulty of getting her to the sleepy state.  If she is good and tired (but not OT) and you have a consistent wind down you will be paving the way towards sleep and will find the shush pat method more successful.

Offline yjlzelik

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 23:36:20 pm »
how are things going?