Author Topic: Four month old struggling with 3 hour EASY  (Read 645 times)

Offline Neen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Four month old struggling with 3 hour EASY
« on: October 31, 2011, 21:18:10 pm »
I have a 4 month old who has yet to master the 3 hour EASY.  Our schedule:

E 7:00
A 7:30
S 8:00

E 10:00
A 10:30
S 11:00

E 1:00
A 1:30
S 2:00-2:30

Here is where we start to fall apart.  I am unable to push the activity past one hour because then she becomes OT and the day spirals down hill.  She goes down with no trouble first two naps and sleeps a full two hours.  However, she has slept soooo much by lunch time, it is very difficult to get to sleep and/or stay asleep until next feeding (that would mean another two hour nap).  

Sleeps well at night between four to six hour stretches.  I have tried extending wake times by five to ten minute intervals with no success.  Any extending = OT.  No medical issues that I am aware of.   No props used.  Put down awake. 

In the afternoons, routine turns into:
E 1:00
A 1:30
S 2:00
A 3:00 (she will wake up happy)
E 4:00 (now basicly fed to sleep - not intentional)

next problem...now has three hours until next feed!
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 21:19:51 pm by Neen »

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Four month old struggling with 3 hour EASY
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 14:16:45 pm »
Hiya,
Two thoughts for you, what do you think?

(i) Why not try extending the wake times again? Or did you do this very recently? I would only extend one at a time, though, and if she's really sensitive to OT then only by 5mins. Maybe try the first A time to begin with, although as I know my DS always preferred a slightly shorter first A time, you could start with the second if you think that would be better for your DD. I agree it does sound like she's slept a lot by lunch time, and that may well be why she struggles to have a good long sleep after lunch.

(ii) Don't worry about a strict feeding schedule. EASAE is fine, if she's not hungry when she wakes, although I agree it's probably not such a good idea to plan to feed to sleep. However I wouldn't really worry about that too much if she usually gets to sleep by herself, sounds like you're doing REALLY well on that front :) You could always bring that 4pm feed forward so that she's not going straight from feed to sleep. What happens after that? Does she cat-nap? Lots of babies cat-nap and cluster feed in the evening, so don't worry about waiting a full 3h until the evening feed.

Offline Neen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 15:37:29 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am going to try your advice of extending only one nap at a time - starting with the 2nd nap.  My LO is preferring to cluster feed in the evening, but again I was trying to extend her feed times into a three hour time frame so we could transition to the four hour feed times.  However, it sounds like I should go back to cluster feeding.  Thanks for the help. 

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 22:12:18 pm »
Hope you see some encouraging signs soon :) I think we kept 'clustering' feeds in the evening until DS was on two naps and three solid meals! Not that that will be right for every LO, but I certainly don't think it did him any harm.