Author Topic: Spit-up  (Read 1080 times)

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Spit-up
« on: November 04, 2011, 14:05:14 pm »
Hello all,

My DS is almost 4 months old, and we believe he has acid reflux. (Dr. appt is next week). I have done some things to try and help this but no success.....
-Elevated the crib(he sleeps better now)
-Try to keep him upright for 30min after feed**makes no difference in spit-up)
-Decreased bottle volume (6.5 oz down to 5oz) & feeding more frequently every 3hours (on a 3 hr EASY)
-Only rub his back to burp(every 1.5oz)

Any other thoughts?? He still spits up all the time regardless of position or type of activity. Sometime spit up is very watery(usually 1oz of this) and then later on during his activity he spits up cottage cheese type consistency.

Its very frustrating..... Please help!
Melissa

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Spit-up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 18:05:14 pm »
What formula is he on? If it's an ordinary cow's milk formula you could try a reflux formula or thickening his feeds with a non-food thickener. Is the spitting up distressing him? If it's not then it's nothing to worry about, if it is then he will probably need acid supressing/reducing meds.

If there is a chance he is reacting to cow's milk protien (MSPI) then he may need a hypoallergenic formula as well.

My two refluxers were both on a combination of meds and reflux formula and did fine on it.

Laura

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 21:14:07 pm »
I have tried different formulas, the spit up is the same. The spit-up doesnt make him upset at all, and he is gaining weight well... I'm jsut worried about when to increase his food intake, because im afraid that if I do that he will spit up more.
Melissa

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 21:21:53 pm »
Spitting up is a pretty normal thing really. If it's not having an impact on his weight gain and he's not in distress when he's feeding or lying down then it's nothing to worry about. Most babies have a degree of reflux just because their muscles aren't strong enough, as he gets bigger it will improve and he will be able to deal with bigger feeds.

If he isn't in pain with it then it's more than likely he won't need any meds, and the things you are doing already will help. Many babies grow out of it when they are on solids and are more upright, crawling can make things worse however, because of the position!

Have you tried a specific reflux formula like Enfamil AR (I think it's Enfamil AA or A+ in the US)?

Laura

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 03:16:45 am »
Hello! My sister had the same problem and she used Enfamil Thickened A+ and it really helped a lot, you can find that here in Canada.
http://www.enfamil.ca/en/products/Pages/babies-enfamil-thickened-a+.aspx

I agree that if your Lo is gaining weight well you shouldn't worry too much, but check with your doctor just in case.

I hope that helps!!

Hugs!
Marie