Author Topic: how to cut out a much loved bottle to a 2 year old?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how to cut out a much loved bottle to a 2 year old?
« on: November 07, 2011, 22:37:50 pm »
im not in a big rush with this yet but wondering how im going to do this in the coming months before my 3rd baby is due.

my dd whos 3, and my ds whos 2 have a 7oz bottle every morning. it was always formula but recently started mixing half with cows milk with no problems.
its my ds who will go nuts when i try to do this. when hes finished his bottle he crys to get the end of dd's bottle too. any tips? thanks in advance

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: how to cut out a much loved bottle to a 2 year old?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 20:43:05 pm »
anyone? 

Offline rach321

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 20:49:07 pm »
When we switched we moved it to a regular beaker - called it his big boy cup and really sold it to him that way. Worked for us before DS2 came along so I didn't have two lots of bottles to deal with!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 20:54:34 pm »
When we switched we moved it to a regular beaker - called it his big boy cup and really sold it to him that way
We did this too. But, we tried it several times (with long gaps in between) before he suddenly just decided he'd go with it at around 27/28 months. Before that he would not even take the beaker from us, just insisted he had the bottle. One day I suggested it and he said he wanted to be a big boy :) He's not had a bottle since, not asked for it and not given the option.
Catherine x

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 21:02:02 pm »
i might have to purchase a big boy cup then so. but yous all still give them milk yes?

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 21:06:18 pm »
Yes. He's not as interested in it now it's not in a bottle though, will *usually* drink most of it, but there are times when he just doesn't want it - when it was in a bottle he'd drain 10ozs in seconds!
Catherine x

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 21:12:04 pm »
great. defo will try this. must just be the comfort or something about the bottle they like. :-)thanks x

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 21:15:05 pm »
Yes he has a small beaker before bed but that's it now  - and he was a huge milk drinker when he was smaller.

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 13:37:15 pm »
hi. ok this past 2 days or so he dosent even want his beaker with the milk it. refuses to take a drink at all. his 3 year old sister loves hers and still happy to drink her one. what should i do?

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 14:51:07 pm »
I took the bottle away from ds1 at about this age too and tbh he just didn't drink any milk at all for a while. As long as you make sure he gets enough in the form of dairy (yoghurts, cheese etc) then it shouldn't be a problem. We eventually got him to drink it again by giving it to him in a real proper big boys cup ::) then mopped up the spills afterwards :P so you could try that if he is able. My ds loved it! Eventually he decided it was fine to drink it from a sippy. HTH

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 21:43:57 pm »
thanks for your reply but i did try a big boys cup and no hope. he is getting enough dairy anyway so im not worried about that but i know he loved his bottle in the morning. was like his cup of tea to him and now its gone. hes ok about it really. refused point blank to even take a sip so i leave it. my 3 year old still drinks hers down in a flash. maby i shouldnt be complaining as he will have to see his new baby sister whos due in april drinking bottles so hopefully he will have forgot about them by than :-)