Author Topic: Good Food causing gut problems in one year old?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Brige

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Good Food causing gut problems in one year old?
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:57:52 pm »
Greetings!

My DS turned one this week! We have been having sleep problems with him for a few months now. We have taken him to a Chiropractor and a Reflexologist and they have treated him for reflux. ( I wanted to go the natural route before treating with medication) Basically he wakes up at night, crying and screaming, refusing to be soothed and held, rolls on the bed and farts and screams when he does! Sometimes he burps and gets hiccups but not always.

My question is ultimately about food...I want to find out more about what kind of food affects your child in what ways. I keep a diary of DS routine for A times etc, and even write what I feed him, and I have discovered that on days when he eats very little he sleeps beautifully that night? Or if he eats porridge at dinner or toast, he sleeps like an angel. But if I mix food, such as meat and veg and potato , I am sure to have a wakey screamy baby that night!!!

I have also found that if I give him fruit everyday, his poo gets very runny. And if he could eat yoghurt three times a day, he would be that happiest baby out with no gut problems!!!

Am I being a silly first time mum that I don’t know this stuff? Where can I read more?

Help!!!

Brigitte ; )

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Good Food causing gut problems in one year old?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 21:00:36 pm »
Hmm.  I would worry setting too many 'rules' for yourself.  Imagine this for the rest of his life?

That said, it might be worth working with a nutritionist on it.  There might be something he's allergic to?  Also there are some things in what you say that makes sense.  Porridge at dinner would be good slow release energy so would keep him going through the night.  Fruit is high in fibre so bound to make the poo softer.  Yoghurt is again slower release energy but also if it's live yoghurt, it will contain bacteria which are good for his gut.

I can't think of a reason why the mixing meat and veg would be an issue though.

Perhaps worth talking to a nutritionist because it's been going on so long but the other thing which is a big issue at this age is teeth.  So many are coming through at that age.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 21:31:16 pm »
Some foods can aggrevate reflux, I don't have any experience but I assume acidic foods such as tomatos? Could that be it?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 23:41:54 pm »
There are a lot of foods that can aggravate reflux, as buntybear says tomatoes are a big one, as is any acidic fruit ie oranges, mandarins, pineapple.

A lot of reflux babies are also intolerant to some food groups ie dairy or wheat. It may be worth ruling these out by avoiding one food group for a period of time (usually 2-3 weeks)if you suspect this could be the case.

I also found yogurt good on the gut for my refluxer, and am trying probiotics as well at the moment to see if they help. However, I do think if your LO is suffering and in pain even after the natural treatments you may wantto consider talking to a Dr about medication to reduce the acid coming up into the gullet as this can also damage the throat long term if left untreated long term.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.